Nvidia Dawn (fairy) demo on ATI cards

By Arris
May 22, 2003
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saw this on Rage3d (May 21th, 2003):
    Download OpenGL wrapper
    Download Dawn demo

Apparently you rename "fairy.exe" to "quake3.exe" or "3dmark03.exe". I haven't tried this out.. *cough*
  2. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 531   +11

Interesting, however, I am curious as to why anyone with an ATi card would want to run a NVIDIA demo. If you buy an ATi card, why not stick to their demos? I can see above that some have a certain appeal to Dawn possibly due to her/its human form, but I would just like to hear it from you guys. I don't mean to sound like I am biting people’s heads off here, I am just curious :confused: .
  3. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 4,508   +81

I think the interesting point of this is the following:
  4. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine Newcomer, in training Posts: 375

The Demo shows what DX9 and OGL2.0 are capable of, and this is the same on either hardware. The propietary extensions that Nvidia employs do not affect the standard path, they just make it impossible to run on anything except Nvidia hardware. I think this demo is a great example of what vertex and pixel shaders are capable of......A demo is a demo is a demo...this just happens to be a really nice one, with a great rack:grinthumb
  5. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,802

Quite a good demo!

Interesting to see what it's possible to do with these cards (NV3x, R3x0)....

Certain parts really suprised me in detail....
    (With and without "special" patch :D)
  6. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

heheheh i'd really love to test it but no DX9 card yet :(

i might get a 9100 pro or 9500 soon :p
  7. PreservedSwine

PreservedSwine Newcomer, in training Posts: 375

9000, 9100, 9200 aren't DX9
    9500 & up are:)
  8. DigitAlex

DigitAlex TechSpot Paladin Posts: 583

yep i know, but the choice between 9100 and 9500 will be made on the price the day i'll buy it :) price which is dropping :D
  9. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 730

c'mon dudes

everyone wants the demo for the nude patch that can be applied to it.......it's all over the net .........so if you do not have a fx card ............screenshots are still floating around
  10. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

Maybe nVidia's not to happy about the ATi cards running Dawn.
    You can read it all atThe Inquirer.
  11. JSR

JSR Banned Posts: 730

well

two can play that game
  12. Eon

Eon Newcomer, in training

I'm looking for Dawn(fairy) downloadable video

Hello geeks :)

I had fetched about everywhere, I can't find a place where I can download this "Dawn" cidéo as .avi, .mpg or else..

Do someone can tell me where I can find it?

Or tel me a way to convert that http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/videos/nvidia/fairy.asx .asx streaming video to avi? Thanks
  13. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Hello

Start VLC's Streaming/Transcode Wizard, it's in File menu ("Wizard"), then select "Save to file", enter the aforementioned URL as the input stream, choose the format you want it, and save.

14. petey

petey Newcomer, in training

You can download from
    http://badbre.ath.cx/fairy.avi
    but it is about 28MB and not a fast server!

Petey

P.S. I will not leave it up there for long...
  15. Eon

Eon Newcomer, in training

[Downloadable Fairy?] Thanks!

Thanks Petey! This was unexpected and kind from you :)

I'm not afraid.. Here I have got DSL brandwidht for 1 year only, I'm used to be patient, I had to bear 56 kbs for years before

Anyway, that video does really worth it!

Thanks to Mictlantecuhtli too for the way to convert asx to .avi!

[To Spike].. I Can understand your purposes.. anyway, in my opinion, as they doesn't want us (or at least, newbees) to download it, why don't they maye totally unavailable?.. I just want have the freedom to have it on my HDD or on a USB-key.. (I want to show it to my "geekette")..

Why would nVidia want to prevent me to do so? Why others video are directly downloadable?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.