Nvidia driver continual loop, how can I fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new to this board and a bit of a tech-peasant, but I'm hoping maybe someone can help me!
My Dell has once again given me the "nvidia driver is stuck in a continual loop" message (nv4-disp). I tried re-seating the card, it worked once before but not this time. The last time it happened, Dell sent me a new sound card, directed me to the driver download and it was fine for about a year. What can I do now, can I reinstall the driver or is there a newer, better driver? Do I need a new card again too? I really appreciate any help, thanks so much!!
Terri

The best thing to try would be different drivers. I would go to www.guru3d.com and download a whole bunch of WHQL and beta drivers to test with your current hardware. Which card are you running and which version driver (ForceWare) are you using?

Hmm... the card is a Sound Blaster Live... and the driver well they sent me to a link and I just downloaded it. In my notes it says the card was sent actually in '06, and the driver was nvidia GeForce FX5200.

Ah okay I think I misunderstood what your problem is. The driver that is "stuck in a continual loop" (nv4-disp) is a video driver (ForceWare). The Sound Blaster Card needs a separate driver (not ForceWare) to function properly. You will need to find a driver for the sound card, which is typically on the disk that came with the device.

That's okay, there are other ways to acquire the correct drivers. You should be able to find them from the manufacturer's site (Creative). Find the model of the sound card on the site and download the appropriate drivers. There are many different models of the Sound Blaster Live! so make sure you download and install the correct one!

And I can do that in safe mode, right? Cause I can't get onto the computer otherwise.
So, downloading the sound driver will help the nv4-disp problem? I'm just confused that the card they sent me was a sound card yet the video driver seems to be where the problem is. Hmm... well all I know is the message I got was the nv4-disp one.
Thanks for your help, by the way... I appreciate your patience with me!

The sound driver will most likely NOT help with the display driver issue. Both devices, the video and sound cards, use separate drivers from different manufacturers. After you install the correct sound driver, which i believe can be done in Safe Mode, refer back to what I said in my first response regarding the use of different video drivers. To clarify what I mean on drivers, look below.

Video Card (nVidia) --> uses display drivers, a.k.a "ForceWare", from nVidia corp. (nv4-disp.dll)

Sound Card (Sound Blaster Live) --> uses sound drivers supplied by Creative inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back