Nvidia FX 5200 Settings, Tabs, Desktop Manager Gone After HD Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
System basics:
Windows 98SE
800MHz Pentium3
384MB RAM

A few days ago I replaced an ailing hard drive with a new Seagate and used the drive copy utility (by CMS) on the install CD to copy it to the new one.

Since that swap the settings functions for the Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 graphics card (which I'd installed a couple months ago and had been working fine,) have disappeared. The video is working fine, but the Nvidia icon is missing from the taskbar, and when I go into the Windows Control Panel and click the Nvidia icon (which is still there,) I get the hourglass for a couple seconds, then nothing. It won't open.

When I start a game - currently Tomb Raider:Chronicles - and go into Settings, most of the fields in the settings pop up are blank:

The top one, "Graphics Adapter," reads:
"NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 - nvdisp.drv (0.0.00.0000)"

- The Output Settings field is blank, but when you click the dropdown arrow, "Core Design MMX Hardware Card Emulation" is still there;

- Output Resolution and Texture Bit Depth fields are both completely empty;

- Sound Device has both "Primary Sound Driver" and, in the dropdown, "SB Audigy 2 ZS Audio (1480)," as normal.

All other instances in which the Nvidia settings tabs were formerly present are gone - in the display preferences, the system properties, hardware profiles, everywhere.

What I've tried thus far:

I uninstalled everything (even removed and re-seated the Nvidia card,) tried the latest Nvidia driver 77.72 which I downloaded directly from the Nvidia website;

I uninstalled that and tried the old one from the CD that came with the card, which is 66.94;

I uninstalled that and went to the archives at the Nvidia site and tried the previous version, 71.84, released March 2005 which was about the time I first bought the card.

All of these came up exactly the same - the screen graphics work fine but there are no Nvidia settings tabs anywhere to be seen, only the Nvidia icon in the Windows Control Panel - and the game settings popup window has the blanked-out fields as described above.

What I haven't tried, but will later this morning (I'm on the vampire shift right now):

Since I'd heard that Nvidia drivers are maddeningly difficult to uninstall completely and that remnants lodged in odd nooks and crannies completely hose up newly-installed drivers, I did a net search for a comprehensive Nvidia driver uninstaller program. I found and downloaded a program called "DriverCleaner" from DriverHeaven.net (I didn't have time to start it up and try it before coming to work last night.)

Is this just a case of an incomplete driver uninstall -or something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer.

<***>

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It is probably a good idea to run the Drivercleaner programme.

Go into add remove programmes, and uninstall anything to do with Nvidia.

Now run the cab cleaner first followed by the driver cleaner.

Reboot your system. Windows should install the generic vga driver.

Now install the latest drivers for your card from the Nvidia website.

Hopefully this should work.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hello Howard!

'Just about to head home - where do I find cab cleaner? Is it a windows utility already on my machine, or a download somewhere? Thanks!

<***>

Hmmm... I just went through the whole process and still the same result.

When I tried to run Cab Cleaner an error message popped up saying "No Files Found," then the Cab Cleaner window popped up and the drop-down menu was blank. I went ahead with everything anyway but still, all of the Nvidia settings windows are missing, the Nvidia logo is in the Windows Control Panel but won't open when clicked, and there's no Nvidia icon in the taskbar.

I'm beginning to wonder whether it's time to scrap this graphics card (too,) and start from scratch?

:(

I know what you mean.

Maybe doing a repair install of Windows would help straighten things out.

Intructions for doing this can be found HERE.

Also reinstalling your mobo drivers may help.

Regards Howard :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back