Nvidia Geforce 6600 gt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nvidia Geforce 6600 gt...monitor signal loss

ok i have problem i just got a geforce 6600 gt video card like a month ago and all was going well until i started to play a few of my games. The games work fine until i get up to a certain part then the monitor shuts off and goes into power saving mode. The games i have a problem with are worlds of warcraft(when u are a ghost), Everquest 2(character selection screen) and star wars knights of the old republic 2(when u are out in space). The phrases in parenthesis are the only times the monitor shuts off any other time everything works fine. I've tried lowering refresh rate, downloading updated drivers, changing resolution, reseting my monitor to default specifications and have even changed my monitor, but it doesn't help or make it worse. i have a pentium 4 2.53ghz and 1gig of ram. the motherboard i have is an asus p4pe. my last thought is all of the monitors that i own are all 15 pin VGA and the 6600gt is a DVI so i need an adapter to connect and maybe some signal is being lost in the connection...? i don't know i am very good and very smart when it comes to computers, so if someone could please help me out i would be very grateful.

try disabling advanced graphics options in your games such as:
shadows, lightmaps, smoke, tiretracks
DVI so i need an adapter to connect and maybe some signal is being lost in the connection...?
your problem is software and your dvi connector has nothing to do with it.

May well need to turn off some of those things. But the point of having a 6600GT is to turn the eye candy on. May be a driver issue, it certainly seems like a software problem. I'm not familiar with those games, so can't comment, but are they particularly graphically intensive at the moments when your monitor goes bye-bye? Longshot I know, but could be PSU (doubtful, but maybe worth a try).
Good Luck.

I have the same trouble with Guild Wars and I tried too Star Wars Kotor II. Even after a complete format and a minimum installation such as windows XP, nvidia drivers and soundblaster driver, the monitor shut down after a few minutes. I've already try with several versions of nvidia drivers and the trouble persists. My configuration is an AMD Atlon 2200. Guild Wars works correctly on the other computer with another graphic card. That's why I suppose the trouble comes from the 6600 GT and maybe something else, but I don't know what.

Resolved?

Did anyone resolve this issue? I am having the same problem now.

If I play a game, it will turn off my monitor and go into power saving. I have never had this problem before

It appears that alot of other people r having problems with the 6600gt

i have some possible solutions for u guys i hope

1. http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache...ead.php?t=34494++6600gt++fixing+crashes&hl=en . Ch4ntz1s said "but I fixed my problem. I had to go into the BIOS and change the AGP setting, and the AGP Aperture size."
2. http://www.emutalk.net/techtalk/31892-problems-xfx-6600gt.html (not from playing games though) TRS said in reply #9 "After some more problems, I complete removed the card from my system (including drivers etc.) and reinstalled everything, only this time I disabled my virusscan."
IF THOSE DONT WORK ONE LAST THING
3. check to make sure the card isnt over heating alot of people who were experiencing crashes were in hot areas and over working their comps

hope u guys work it out. night

SOOOOOO anything?

is your power plugged in? =)

This is a really silly fix that probably doesn't apply to many people, but make sure you have the extra power cable plugged into your card from your power supply.

When I first got my 6600GT I wanted to use it as quickly as possible so I put it in the motherboard and forgot to plug the power into it. This resulted in everything working fine until I started running 3d games. I would usually be a couple minutes into the game and the monitor would go blank just as you are all describing.

I've also read on other forums that you should try to use a power cable that isn't being split off to your harddrive as this can cause some power issues with your card too.

Hope this helps (if it did, feel free to slap the palm of your hand to your forehead now) =)

LOL--Did the same thing yesterday.The guy in the store said You didn't have to plug the card in!First fire fight in quake 4--power saving mode.Even my cheap 300w PSU had an extra 4-pin connector-plugged it in --no problem.Oh,and just use the regular Vga connector on the card.The one that takes an adapter is for flat-screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back