Nvidia GeForce Go 5200 video adapter and Realtek AC97 Audio Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am, by no means, a technical person. I have a 6 month old Toshiba Satellite P25-S526 laptop which I use in my teaching. I do a lot of PowerPoint and often capture video clips to insert into the PP presentations.
I have two problems. First one - when I switch to dual monitor mode to be able to use a projector I have no problem until I come to a slide with a video. At this point the video signal does not make it to the projector. The audio is fine. In order for the video to show on the projector I have to toggle to the auxillary monitor (projector) only. The toggling process often kicks me out of slide show mode and makes me look real dumb (actually not too hard a task). When I toggle to the auxillary monitor my laptop screen goes black and I have to rely on controlling the presentation by watching it on the projected image. Not always ideal when teaching.

Second problem. I have a ADS Tech video capture device and use their CapWiz software. The software has a direct to disk feature which lets me copy video directly to the DVD burner in my computer. The problem is that the audio is not coordinated with the video. The audio is from 1 to 2 seconds behind the video.

It has been suggested that the audio and video drivers on my computer are outdated. In fact, they both have dates in the second half of 2003 whereas the ADS software was created in 2004 and contains Direct X (I think that's the term) controls which (supposedly) my drivers will not handle.

I would appreciate any input on this. I hope I am not the only person in the world to experience these problems.

Jeff T

Hello

Welcome to TechSpot

Toshiba's are generally one of the best laptops around.
Has toshiba tech supp. been able to shed any light on the
dual monitor issue?
I wonder if your 1st prob may be extending desktop to second
monitor (projector) or possibly, cloning desktop to prjector.

I personally have not had the pleasure of working with a projector
on a pc, let alone a laptop. I'm new to both worlds there.

Generally speaking, I've had trouble with any of "direct to cd/dvd"
software features.
It may be suggested to bypass this feature and use the
full feature video capture to hdd then to dvd. This may save
some grief with matching up audio feed with video.

I know you are not the only one having these particular prob's and
I'm certain you came to the right place as many here at TechSpot
will be willing to help out!
G'Luck

Thanks for your reply. Toshiba tech support has been as helpful as possible but I get the feeling I am on some sort of cutting edge here even though presentation use of PowerPoint has been around for a long time. Apparently the use of imbedded videos in PowerPoint is not all that common yet.

It is frustrating. I am willing to consider getting Toshiba's new G25 which has a more powerful Nvidia card but nobody can tell me, for sure, if that will solve the dual monitor problem. I am considering taking my projector and a DVD movie to a local retailer and see if they will let me hook it all up and find out for myself. Does this sound like a reasonable approach? Nvidia apparently does not talk to consumers.

Jeff T

Jeff,
What OS are you using on your current P25?
Below is what I found on Toshibas sites, wow $3000 usd!
This could very well solve some issues but throwing $$'s at it my not be the only way.
I wonder if your current machine could handle media center 2k5 as well as an upgrade in video.
It is frustrating I can't seem to get any straight answers with any of my resources.. :suspiciou

G25- DVD, DVR, TV, MP3s, games, mobile computing. 8X DVD SuperMulti drive is simply compatible. Read and write most popular DVD/CD formats. Burn at 8X normal speed!

Also Includes:
# InterVideo® WinDVD™ Creator 2 Platinum, Sonic PrimeTime, Sonic™ Solutions RecordNow!™ Basic for TOSHIBA, 4-USB(2.0) ports, iLINK (IEEE 1394) port, Bridge Media Adapter, 2 AV-Out ports, 2 AV-In ports, 10/100 Ethernet port, V.92/56K modem port

* Intel Pentium® M processor 760 [2.00GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB]
* [Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005]
* 1024MB (2x512MB) DDR2 SDRAM
* 17" Diagonal Wide-Screen XGA Display (1440 x 900) w/Ultimate TruBrite Technology
* [NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go6600 GPU w/128MB DDR SDRAM]
* 120GB: 60GB HDD (5400rpm) + 60GB HDD (5400rpm)
* DVD SuperMulti drive (Double Layer)
* Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11a/b/g)
* Integrated Bluetooth® (v.1.2)

Good Luck with this and keep posting back, I posted a copy of this e-mail, this thread could help out alot of people
SOx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back