Nvidia is quietly upgrading GeForce RTX 4090 cards with a safer power connector

nanoguy

Staff member
Why it matters: Nvidia's melting 12VHPWR power connectors are still out there, although a wave of media coverage last year has increased awareness of the dangers posed by improper contact or bending the power cables too much to make them fit inside compact PC cases. Fortunately, Team Green has been quietly replacing the power connector on newly-manufactured RTX 40 series graphics cards, so those of you who have yet to upgrade will have a lower chance of encountering the problematic 12VHPWR design.

Earlier this month, we learned that the PCI-SIG had developed a new and improved specification for the controversial 16-pin power connector known as 12VHPWR, which has been a major source of headaches for owners of Nvidia's higher-end RTX graphics cards. AMD has yet to adopt the standard, so it has largely avoided criticism in this area, with reviewers mostly lamenting about the high price of RDNA 3 cards and their relatively low energy efficiency compared to Nvidia's Ada Lovelace counterparts.

If a recent post from the Nvidia subreddit is any indication, the company is silently upgrading RTX 4090 Founders Edition cards with the updated 16-pin power connector. Notably, the company has also applied the same treatment to recently manufactured Founders Edition RTX 4070 and RTX 4070 Ti cards, and partners like MSI have also integrated the new connector on upcoming PSU designs showcased at Computex.

That's good news for RTX 40 series users, some of whom have seen their connectors melt from not making proper contact. Those who were lucky enough to avoid that would sometimes find their cards did not perform at their best even though the power plug appeared to be fully inserted into the card's connector.

If you recently purchased an Nvidia RTX 40 series graphics card, you may be able to check if it has the updated connector by looking at the four sensing pins that send data from the GPU to the PSU. Several people have compared them against those on older RTX 40 series graphics cards and noticed they are shorter. Another way to tell is to check for a marking on the top of the connector – if it has the "H++" identifier, it is the new 12V-2x6 connector.

If anything, this looks like a confirmation that Nvidia saw this as a large enough issue to warrant integrating what appears to be a prototype 12VHPWR connector on its Founders Edition cards as soon as it was possible to do so. We don't know if AIBs also have access to this new connector, but we assume Team Green has been coordinating with them on shifting all newly manufactured cards to the updated design.

Permalink to story.

If it ain't broke, fix it until it is. At this point I'm actually entertained and impressed by how badly nVidia has messed up the 40 series. I think people have actually forgotten how much they hate EA because of how nVidia has handled the 40 series which is no small feat.

Nvidia is silent because if any official statement was done that meant a recall of all sold cards until now. But hell no the suckers that paid for a 4090 will have the money to buy another card with H++ plug. The more you buy the more you save?!? Right?

iu

No issues here 9 months from purchase, having used the included 4x8pin adapter for 2 months, and a 3x8pin CableMod PSU cable since.
I did only pay ~$1200 for my 4090 after selling off my last gen card, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No issues here 9 months from purchase, having used the included 4x8pin adapter for 2 months, and a 3x8pin CableMod PSU cable since.
I did only pay ~$1200 for my 4090 after selling off my last gen card, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The problem is not really from just using it once. It's how it handles multiple uses (for example after you take it out several times to clean your PC) and how it handles being bent.

All the reputable sources said connectors are meant to eliminate user error and that the connector failed that job. I have a feeling that user error is at fault for what you took away from what all those youtubers had to say
If the connector is so poor that user error is that easy, then it is the connectors fault for being poorly designed. A good connector should not allow this to happen.

If the connector is so poor that user error is that easy, then it is the connectors fault for being poorly designed. A good connector should not allow this to happen.
You mean, it was the connectors fault that users couldn't push it in all the way?

You mean, it was the connectors fault that users couldn't push it in all the way?
It was the connectors fault that it could not be easily discerned whether the connector was fully inserted. This is not an issue on the 6/8 pin connector, where it is blatantly obvious.

It is also the connectors fault that, while not being seated fully, it can push the full 600+ watts required to heat it up. I've had partially connected 6/8 pin connectors that operated for years without melting, because they were rated for half of what they could actually do. This is not the case for the nVidia connector.

If the connector is this sensitive then the sense pins should have been there by default.

A little and necessary correction for the title:
Nvidia is SNEAKELY upgrading it's own RTX 4090 FAILED DESIGN 16pin power burning connector, with a safer one, updated by PCI SIG.
Nvidia should be paying millions for the damage. Those scoundrels are not only greedy but miserable too.

Nvidia is silent because if any official statement was done that meant a recall of all sold cards until now. But hell no the suckers that paid for a 4090 will have the money to buy another card with H++ plug. The more you buy the more you save?!? Right?

iu
All gamers should boycott that company full of scoundrels. They don't want to pay for a recall. They prefer to risk gamers' lives and properties instead. This is not a minor matter.

iu

Maybe we should have fight ring between Jen-Hsun Huang vs Todd Andrew Howard just like Elon Musk vs Zucc

With all the fuss about these cards, their prices and their problems, yet many are still buying them. I read posts on reddit about people buying 4090s to play on 1080 displays...

Back