Nvidia job listing reveals GTX 1080 Ti upgrade offer, GeForce Experience subscription program

midian182

Staff member

Nvidia has yet to announce the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti publicly, but, thanks to a job listing on LinkedIn, the GPU maker has confirmed that the highly anticipated card is on its way. Additionally, the listing reveals that a “Club GeForce Elite” program could soon be arriving.

First spotted by PC World, the LinkedIn ad for a Nvidia “Senior Marketing Manager – GeForce, Gamer Loyalty & Advocacy” doesn’t give away any new technical specifications about the GTX 1080 Ti, but it does confirm that the company is getting ready to launch the card.

One interesting section of the ad, titled “Targeted Spot Prizes To Drive Sentiment, Reward Behavior, And Grow Advocates,” mentions a “Step Up” offer that will see 980 Ti users get the first spot in line for 1080 Ti pre-orders.

The lengthy ad also focuses on rewarding Nvidia customers’ loyalty. In addition to listing benefits for GeForce Experience users, such as a free indie game once a year, free skins, hardware discounts, and beta access for certain first-party content, there’s also mention of a “Club GeForce Elite” subscription program.

Those who subscribe to the $10 per month service will get a rotating bundle of four free games from the GeForce Experience app store each quarter and a free GeForce 'PC in the cloud' subscription, along with exclusive skins, in-game items, and GeForce Gear.

It could be a while before Club GeForce Elite arrives, especially as there is currently no GFE app store. PC in the Cloud, meanwhile, could hint at Nvidia’s Shield-exclusive GeForce Now streaming service coming to PCs

Back in September, it was reported that the GTX 1080 Ti could be launched at CES in January. It will be the second consumer GPU to feature Nvidia’s Pascal GP102 silicon, which was first used in the Titan X. The 1080 Ti will reportedly pack 3,328 CUDA cores, 208 TMUs, a 1.7Ghz boost clock, 12GB of GDDR5X memory, and 10.7 TFLOPs of FP32 performance.

Permalink to story.

So Nvidia trying to squeeze more money out of their users? How long until that subscription becomes "mandatory" for geforce experience, and GFE becomes required to get new nvidia drivers?

“Club GeForce Elite”

To bad that is not a title given to users that have come to a conclusion GeForce Experience is a waste of time and effort installing. For those are the ones truly worthy of the title.

and GFE becomes required to get new nvidia drivers?
If that happens, I'll gladly switch to AMD.

$10 a month for some shovelware and cosmetics, are they having a laugh.

Even the free stuff seems kinda shady, particularly that " beta access for certain first-party content", seems more like they're testing the waters for gpu exclusivity.

$10 a month for some shovelware and cosmetics, are they having a laugh.

Even the free stuff seems kinda shady, particularly that " beta access for certain first-party content", seems more like they're testing the waters for gpu exclusivity.
Sounds more like they want you to pay them $10/mo to beta test their drivers/software. It should be the other way around that they pay us customers.

“Club GeForce Elite”

To bad that is not a title given to users that have come to a conclusion GeForce Experience is a waste of time and effort installing. For those are the ones truly worthy of the title.

and GFE becomes required to get new nvidia drivers?
If that happens, I'll gladly switch to AMD.
I already did. Stupid FE bollocks.

And given nvidia's driver quality as of late, it seems I made a good choice.

This isn't just a play by Nvidia to get more money this is in my opinion a way to retain their customers. AMD has been stepping up their game on the CPU\GPU front and lets face it the amount of money Nvidia charges along with their stock price they can't can't afford to lose market share. It should be expected that AMD will come in at a lower price point regardless of how the performance stacks up to Nvidia's offers which will cause Nvidia to lose of market share like it already has.

This isn't just a play by Nvidia to get more money this is in my opinion a way to retain their customers.

Last I checked, that's what all companies strive to do. It's kinda how they stay in business. And btw, the subscription is OPTIONAL.

AMD has been stepping up their game on the CPU\GPU front and lets face it the amount of money Nvidia charges along with their stock price they can't can't afford to lose market share.

AMD has shown CPU demos. Nothing is official yet. Not boost clocks and certainly not price. When AMD is quiet, I worry.

It should be expected that AMD will come in at a lower price point regardless of how the performance stacks up to Nvidia's offers which will cause Nvidia to lose of market share like it already has.

AMD is still trying to get the 20% market share nVIDIA snatched from them with Maxwell in 2014-2015. Trust me, AMD doesn't want to sell their products at a lower price. Don't get it twisted. AMD has had the cheaper product, because nVIDIA has had the better product.

Remember the $1000 FX 9590? Remember the $1500 R9 Pro Duo? Remember the $549 R9 290X that dropped to $349 after nVIDIA surprised us all with the GTX 970?

This isn't just a play by Nvidia to get more money this is in my opinion a way to retain their customers.

Last I checked, that's what all companies strive to do. It's kinda how they stay in business. And btw, the subscription is OPTIONAL.

AMD has been stepping up their game on the CPU\GPU front and lets face it the amount of money Nvidia charges along with their stock price they can't can't afford to lose market share.

AMD has shown CPU demos. Nothing is official yet. Not boost clocks and certainly not price. When AMD is quiet, I worry.

It should be expected that AMD will come in at a lower price point regardless of how the performance stacks up to Nvidia's offers which will cause Nvidia to lose of market share like it already has.

AMD is still trying to get the 20% market share nVIDIA snatched from them with Maxwell in 2014-2015. Trust me, AMD doesn't want to sell their products at a lower price. Don't get it twisted. AMD has had the cheaper product, because nVIDIA has had the better product.

Remember the $1000 FX 9590? Remember the $1500 R9 Pro Duo? Remember the $549 R9 290X that dropped to $349 after nVIDIA surprised us all with the GTX 970?
You're right. AMD has made some terrible decisions, but now they're at rock bottom. Under new leadership they've done all the right moves. They invested the money into developing competitive products and fixing holes in their drivers and software. The bottom line is AMD has no where to go but up, and Nvidia/Intel have no where to go but down. The market will begin to stabilize next year as we finally have a competitive market in both cpu and GPU arenas. With all the recent changes Nvidia has made it impossible to support them at this time. Until they lose 20-30% market share and realign reasonable investor expectations they will exploit their loyal fans. Most businesses do this when they're about to lose position, so it's not just them (that's what Amd did with that $1000 9590 you mentioned.) regardless of brand loyalty it's time to support amd until tier 1 products from both companies launch and maintain traditional price points. For example the titan xp is equal to the GTX 480 (second from the top silicon,) but the GTX 480 launched at $599-$699. Nvidia has been charging tier 1 prices for tier 2 gpus since the gtx 600 series. This year they pushed further with the $100-$200 Nvidia tax. And are only selling 1 tier 1 SKU the TITAN xp and for a cool $1200. This card should have been the 1080. GTX 500 series and earlier that would have been the case. by supporting AMD over Intel/Nvidia the good old days of reasonable prices may return.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the LAST people who are waiting for the 1080 Ti's arrival are 980 Ti owners. They just spent big bucks in the last 12-18 months or so, and most people don't upgrade that often- especially at this price point.

As someone who has squeezed every last drop out of my four year old 670 SLI rig, I'm DEFINITELY ready for a upgrade and potential buyer. The price tag will undoubtedly be high, but I spent nearly $800 for the two 670's, and hope to get into a 1080 Ti for around the same (fingers crossed).

You're right. AMD has made some terrible decisions, but now they're at rock bottom. Under new leadership they've done all the right moves. They invested the money into developing competitive products and fixing holes in their drivers and software. The bottom line is AMD has no where to go but up, and Nvidia/Intel have no where to go but down. The market will begin to stabilize next year as we finally have a competitive market in both cpu and GPU arenas. With all the recent changes Nvidia has made it impossible to support them at this time. Until they lose 20-30% market share and realign reasonable investor expectations they will exploit their loyal fans. Most businesses do this when they're about to lose position, so it's not just them (that's what Amd did with that $1000 9590 you mentioned.) regardless of brand loyalty it's time to support amd until tier 1 products from both companies launch and maintain traditional price points. For example the titan xp is equal to the GTX 480 (second from the top silicon,) but the GTX 480 launched at $599-$699. Nvidia has been charging tier 1 prices for tier 2 gpus since the gtx 600 series. This year they pushed further with the $100-$200 Nvidia tax. And are only selling 1 tier 1 SKU the TITAN xp and for a cool $1200. This card should have been the 1080. GTX 500 series and earlier that would have been the case. by supporting AMD over Intel/Nvidia the good old days of reasonable prices may return.
"Nvidia has been charging tier 1 prices for tier 2 gpus since the gtx 600 series."

Who decides appropriate tier 1 prices? Not surprisingly, the companies who actually design and manufacture tier 1 GPU's do. What is your basis for comparison that allows you to claim the prices "exploit" fans (gee, that sounds like we just don't have a choice!)? I don't like the price of Lamborghini's either, but I don't state that they are overpriced. I simply state that they're out of my price range. There's a difference.

"This year they pushed further with the $100-$200 Nvidia tax."

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, but it sounds like you once again feel they're overpricing their GPUs.
The GTX 1060 at $250 goes toe-to-toe with the $550 980
The GTX 1070 at $380 nudges past the $650 980 Ti
The GTX 1080 at $600 handily beats the $1000 (But always commanding $1200) Titan X Maxwell

Are you really complaining that the prices are too high (again, compared to what?), or are you simply bitter that they aren't more affordable in general? Because from a price-to-performance standpoint, the prices have gone DOWN this generation by quite a bit.

Last edited:
Back