Nvidia & Radeon graphics card problems with Windows 7 64-bit

I have two Windows 7 Pro 64-bit systems. Both with different i3 processors & different Motherboards. One system is using the i3's built-in graphics & on the other system, I've tried two different graphics cards; the Radeon HS 5450 & NVidia GeForce 210.

With the Radeon card, text looked very blurrrrryyy. With the NVidia card, things look very grainy. I installed the drivers that came with the cards & updated the drivers to the latest versions, but things still look terrible. The W7 system with the built-in graphics, looks great.

Any suggestions & what I can do to fix this? I certainly don't want to keep buying cards to see if one will look right. It's driving me crazy.

Yes. The resolution gets reset to something that looks like a 3 year old with 4 crayons drew the screen. It's actually something like 800x600, but I have a 24 inch monitor, so its "best resolution" is 1920x1080. It's not a resolution issue. It's not the monitor either because I'm using a KVM & the monitor looks great on my Windows XP & Mac Snow Leopard systems. I've also tried plugging the monitor straight into the PC, just in case it was the KVM causing the problems. I have to say, I just HATE Windows 7. It's just way too finicky & is WAY more work than it's worth. Sadly I have to use it because I need a 64-bit OS & something that will run my Music apps.. This system is being used in my recording studio, so the graphics capability is VERY important. Thanks.

Possibly a motherboard pcie slot fault? or a cable fault?

Does the i3 rig have a pcie slot that you could try with your cards?

Could you post a screenshot of the grainy or blurry images by any chance?

It has a PCIE Slot, but will the cards work in there??
I tried getting a screen shot, but it doesn't show up. Things look fine in the screen shot, but not to the eye.

The usual sound of crickets ..... and then ... "I hate Windows 7 because I did something dumb and now I realize it ..." ;)

Have you tried the W7 built-in ClearType calibration? Control Panel>Appearence and personalization>Display and in the left-side panel "Adjust ClearType text", that happened to me too when I just formatted my laptop right out of the box and that's the way I fixed it.

Wow! I didn't even know that setting was there. Thanks! That was surprising. Most of those boxes look so much the same, it's ridiculous. However, I think that actually did the trick for me. Thank you.

The usual sound of crickets ..... and then ... "I hate Windows 7 because I did something dumb and now I realize it ..." ;)

I realize that's what I sound like, but the only dumb thing I did was use W7. If XP 64-bit wasn't on its way out, I'd still be using that. I just think W7 is a HUGE step backward. XP is 100 times the OS. It's WAY cooler looking & it's just easy to work with. W7 is just... I don't even have a word for it. Besides it looks like a kid with a crayon drew the graphics!!

Anywhooo, thanks for the input & the help. I don't even mind getting poked a bit. :cool:Cheers!

I'd say Vista was a step back from XP, but W7 has really grown on me. The backward compatibility, the ease at which things get done, it supports my new i7 processor properly, the only part I prefer from XP is the explorer, I miss my old explorer, Glad your problem is sorted

Yup. I hear ya with Explorer. Why does W7 Explorer open things up rather than down?? XP Explore would open things down so you could see your files.THAT made sense. Opening them up when everything you want to see is down?? That makes NO sense.

I know this isn't the place for this, but is there some 'secret' to the backward compatibility thing? I've tried it with several things, some on 32-bit & some on 64-bit & I've NEVER gotten it to work even one time. Is there some trick to making it work?

For compatibility what I usually do is, if i'm sure something worked fine on XP, i'll install it and then right click the icon on my desktop > go "Properties" > "Compatibility" tab > Tick the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for" Select XP, Vista, 95, 98 etc... Also a good idea to just tick "Run this program as an administrator" whilst you're there.

Yep XP's explorer made sense, I always knew exactly where I was in the filesystem no working it out, moving things between folders was a breeze, drag and drop and done, now it's right click> copy> browse to the destination folder> right click> paste> go back to original folder, etc... it's a pain when you get used to doing it an easy way. The least they could've done is just give us a choice of which explorer we wanted, something like classic view they used to offer in control panel, for people that liked the old layout, hmmmm classic explorer.

Back