Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software

SirDigby

TechSpot Elite
Just to be clear, I want NO ARGUMENTS. This is a reasonable discussion.

The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember, and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing and releases, the two generally leapfrog each other with every release, I want to discuss what, in terms of software support, features and game coding, each has over the other.

Lets start with what almost everybody knows:
  • Nvidia release drivers every time there's an actual update, not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do, and while this probably results in better updates, it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed (waiting for small fixes because a big bug takes a long time to patch).
  • Nvidia have also developed the G-Sync for monitors, which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread, a can anyone shed light on how this performs? (I'll update this top post as others provide feedback)
  • AMD's Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases, especially as AMD make more deals with game developers. While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates, it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well. Again, can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games?
Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I want NO ARGUMENTS. This is a reasonable discussion.

The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember, and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing and releases, the two generally leapfrog each other with every release, I want to discuss what, in terms of software support, features and game coding, each has over the other.

Lets start with what almost everybody knows:
  • Nvidia release drivers every time there's an actual update, not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do, and while this probably results in better updates, it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed (waiting for small fixes because a big bug takes a long time to patch).
  • Nvidia have also developed the V-sync for monitors, which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread, a can anyone shed light on how this performs? (I'll update this top post as others provide feedback)
  • AMD's Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases, especially as AMD make more deals with game developers. While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates, it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well. Again, can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games?
Cheers guys.
Firstly I think both companies release drivers at pretty regular intervals at this point, every major game release at least entitles a beta driver minimum.

Your speaking about G-Sync I believe. It works very well for what it is which makes the monitor and GPU communicate together to change the refresh of the monitor live to match the output FPS in order to keep the game seeming as smooth as possible with no lag, frame tears, etc. Its an excellent piece of technology but you pay a 250+ dollar premium for a monitor with it minimum. Right now DisplayPort 1.2a added this to the VESA standard so now it can be done on monitors without the specific G-SYNC module however AMD is the only one to support this in the future when they start appearing but its still going to require some work from the monitor companies. G-Sync is awesome for high resolution and high refresh setups where stability is a bit harder to achieve.

BF4 with Mantle and surround going (Ill have my Asus UHD monitor today to try) is able to maintain easy 60 FPS ultra and thief is the same way. Those are the only two mantle games I have tried as I have not gotten around to getting one other game that supports it.

Firstly I think both companies release drivers at pretty regular intervals at this point, every major game release at least entitles a beta driver minimum.

Your speaking about G-Sync I believe.

BF4 with Mantle and surround going (Ill have my Asus UHD monitor today to try) is able to maintain easy 60 FPS ultra and thief is the same way. Those are the only two mantle games I have tried as I have not gotten around to getting one other game that supports it.

Aye, G-Sync! That was it!

May I ask what your specs are?
Here is a list of games that do/ may support the Mantle API.

Aye, G-Sync! That was it!

May I ask what your specs are?
Here is a list of games that do/ may support the Mantle API.
Part of this is temporary now until Haswell-E launch...

FX 9590
3x PowerColor R9 290X @ 1125 (I forgot what my memory clocks are, im at work)
CrossHair V-Z
Gskill Trident X 1866 Cas Latency 8.
Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt Gold PSU
Custom 360rad and 140mm rad LC system.

I had not checked the list in awhile...I did not notice they got GTA 5 to support mantle...My mind just exploded.

Part of this is temporary now until Haswell-E launch...

FX 9590
3x PowerColor R9 290X @ 1125 (I forgot what my memory clocks are, im at work)
CrossHair V-Z
Gskill Trident X 1866 Cas Latency 8.
Rosewill Lightning 1300Watt Gold PSU
Custom 360rad and 140mm rad LC system.
With a build like that, I imagine that you'd get 60FPS on Ultra on both of those games anyway.

With a build like that, I imagine that you'd get 60FPS on Ultra on both of those games anyway.
Well yes but it also offers a little more stability for me at eyefinity levels. Plus I am getting my 4k monitor today so I get to try that with Mantle enabled and see what happens.

Back