Nvidia's GTX 1060 spied in leaked photo, will reportedly come in two flavors

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Nvidia’s GTX 1080 is a certified barn burner and the mainstream GTX 1070 at $379 (good luck finding it at that price right now) is no slouch, either. But as the world waits to see what AMD has up its sleeve with its next Polaris card, enthusiasts are also curious to see what Nvidia has in store for the lower-end of the market with its GTX 1060.

Alleged pictures of a reference design GTX 1060 have cropped up online. As you can see, the shroud doesn’t look all that different from what we saw with the GTX 1070 and GTX 1080 save for the fact that there isn’t a translucent window (instead replaced with a black plastic cover).

According to the upstream supply chain via BenchLife, the GTX 1060 will be offered with your choice of 3GB of 6GB of GDDR5 with codenames of GP106-400 and GP106-300. Most agree that the card will likely arrive in early July to do battle with AMD’s upcoming Radeon RX 480, reviews of which should be going live any day now.

AMD has already priced its RX 480 at $199 and $240 (4GB and 8GB, respectively) and if Nvidia wants to compete with the GTX 1060, it’ll need to come in around the same price, assuming performance is similar.

We’ll see how it all works out in the coming days and weeks.

Permalink to story.

I'm interested to see if this will indeed be another cutdown of the GP100 die like the 1080 and 1070 are. If it is supply would be a huge issue as the GP100 die is so large you only get a handful of chips per wafer.

If this card is anything like the GTX 960, it will be a waste of money.

Unless this card is dirt cheap, I can't see why it would be purchased over a 1070. The 1070 seems to be position in the sweet spot between cost and longevity (not unlike the 970).

If this card is anything like the GTX 960, it will be a waste of money.

Well hopefully the new memory compression will help these cards where the 960 was weakest and this card needs to have the fastest GDDR5 on the market.

I do think that 3 GB for the base model is too low. Mainstream card have had 3 GB for two generations now. Many games in the last two years take more than 3 GB of vRAM.

I agree 3GB is too small. Obviously they're using a 192bit memory bus. If it is a GP106 chip instead of a cut down GP104 like originally thought then supply shouldn't be a problem. My issue is if we see another stupid Founder's Edition artificially inflate prices (BTW Techspot report the GTX 1070 for what it is, it's a $449 card. Not a single 1070 has been sold for $379 to date.)

Hopefully this will be a worth while upgrade from my gtx 760, the 960 was just a waste of time only getting on average around 5-6fps more than a gtx 760 from what I can remember. The gtx 760 was more like a gtx 670 so maybe this time around the1060 will beat the gtx970, all for a great price.

Kinda expecting a final price of 400$ (1070 is over 500$ for me) for a card with the power of a 980 with 6GB. A 1060ti would be really nice... why does GDDR5X have to be so exclusive...

Nero7

It appears AMD is doing what you request (980 performance) but with 8GB RAM and a 239$ price tag. If you insist on paying $400 for this then you deserve you blanket loyalty. :)

They really needed to use a 256bit memory bus so they can give the lower end model 4GB. 192bit with 3GB will be problematic for some games even at 1080p.

Why is that? My 960 plays most triple A games on max at high fps @ 1080p, how is that a waste of money?

Great for you, I have a GTX 970 and some AAA games don't even play at max settings at 60 fps @1080p. But let's no say it's a waste of money, it just isn't the best card for its price, AMD has better cards and cheaper also.

3GB of VRAM?? Really Nvidia? I hope that is not true, because that is lame. Offer a 4GB or 8GB model. I am looking for a card to replace my GTX 660Ti, and the RX480 is looking much more attractive right now. I guess it is just a waiting game now, to see which does better.

Back