NZXT H440 Mid-Tower Chassis Review: Sound Design Choices Inside and Out

Steve

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/828-nzxt-h440/]https://www.techspot.com/review/828-nzxt-h440/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Two problems with case.
1. there are still times that you may need an optical drive, which this case does not cater for, so you will have to use an external optical drive which plugs into a usb port.
2. great to keep the front clean an what, but with usb ports and such on top, it means that all kind of scraps and dust collect in the ports

Two problems with case.
1. there are still times that you may need an optical drive, which this case does not cater for, so you will have to use an external optical drive which plugs into a usb port.
2. great to keep the front clean an what, but with usb ports and such on top, it means that all kind of scraps and dust collect in the ports

I don’t agree with your first point, I have not used an optical drive in my system for almost 10 years now. Given I use my computer pretty much every day that proves to me that not everyone needs an optical drive. There hasn’t been a single instance where not having one has caused a problem for me. That said if you need an optical drive then this case isn’t for you.

I do tend to agree with your second comment though I don’t feel it’s a serious issue, more of a personal preference.

Two problems with case.

I don’t agree with your first point, I have not used an optical drive in my system for almost 10 years now. Given I use my computer pretty much every day that proves to me that not everyone needs an optical drive. There hasn’t been a single instance where not having one has caused a problem for me. That said if you need an optical drive then this case isn’t for you.

I do tend to agree with your second comment though I don’t feel it’s a serious issue, more of a personal preference.
Yeah? You're part of the minority that doesn't need an optical drive. If I used Steam etc. for my digital downloads I wouldn't need one either but I don't, I prefer a hard copy of my games, it makes things much more convenient and quicker when I reformat my machine.
What is a waste of time in my opinion is the inclusions of USB 2.0 ports, even if a mobo doesn't support USB 3.0 they are backward compatible with the older standard with an adaptor cable. Why they don't just forget about USB 2.0 ports altogether and include the adaptor cable is beyond me.

Two problems with case.

Yeah? You're part of the minority that doesn't need an optical drive. If I used Steam etc. for my digital downloads I wouldn't need one either but I don't, I prefer a hard copy of my games, it makes things much more convenient and quicker when I reformat my machine.
What is a waste of time in my opinion is the inclusions of USB 2.0 ports, even if a mobo doesn't support USB 3.0 they are backward compatible with the older standard with an adaptor cable. Why they don't just forget about USB 2.0 ports altogether and include the adaptor cable is beyond me.

I would be surprised if I was in the minority, especially as far as power user/enthusiasts are concerned. None of my friends use optical drives either but that is probably due to my influence.

As for your example, I do prefer digital downloads opposed to the old fashion way. Plus when I upgrade or format I find Steam magnitudes quicker and easier than inserting discs. All you have to do is copy the steam folder and then re-import the games, you can even export the games to a compressed file for backup. It makes re-install as easy as it can get really.

You are right about the USB 2.0 ports, I feel they are a waste of time a well.

I don't see what you are getting at. USB 3.0 supports USB 2.0 devices without needing an adapter.
Edit:
And the number of USB 3.0 ports is limited by the chipset. A motherboard supporting 10 or more USB 3.0 ports is overkill for the majority. Though they may have that many USB devices, those devices don't need USB 3.0 performance.

I don't see what you are getting at. USB 3.0 supports USB 2.0 devices without needing an adapter.

He is talking about the motherboard header. He is saying drop USB 2.0 ports from the front I/O all together and just offer more USB 3.0's. Then include a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter for the motherboard header in case the motherboard of choice doesn't offer a USB 3.0 header.

Probably not the best way to explain that but hope you got it ;)

Ahh, OK that makes sense! And I agree.

I wonder if USB 3.1 will be pinned differently? If it is pinned differently, that will make matters even worse.

Yeah I agree, there would be nothing universal about that. I would say there is no chance it will be pinned differently, that said I don't know enough about it yet.

I do have a BDROM. It is useless IMO, when it comes to Blurays, I have to find software to play the discs, Im sure winblows media slayer doesnt play them straight out the box, which is heaps useless.

But I do every so often, install things I think, god I havent used that ever, or that sucks, and I dont like just uninstalling things, I feel unclean, so a formats the only way, and so yay windows 7 DVD and optical drive.

I could stick my install on a USB but quite frankly, I worry they will corrupt, or they havent installed properly anyway, something in my procedure went wrong, I dunno, I just prefer to be able to have the choice, sure I can get an external to box up in an emergency and that would be fine, and in this case... pardon the pun :D, I would suggest that be peoples answer.

I can't say the steam back up option is for me, its faster to have a spare 1tb of space, whizz the games over, format, whizz back. The backup option is so slow. Yawn. I can download every game I own faster than that thing can decompress and reinstall my backup. You could walk from London to Rome and back faster.

Two problems with case.

I would be surprised if I was in the minority, especially as far as power user/enthusiasts are concerned. None of my friends use optical drives either but that is probably due to my influence.

As for your example, I do prefer digital downloads opposed to the old fashion way. Plus when I upgrade or format I find Steam magnitudes quicker and easier than inserting discs. All you have to do is copy the steam folder and then re-import the games, you can even export the games to a compressed file for backup. It makes re-install as easy as it can get really.

Point taken but Australia is a pretty well developed economy overall but in an economy like South Africa's, it's a mixture of 1st and 3rd world, it's not NZXT's problem at all I admit but a lot of people can't afford to be without something like an optical drive, I suppose the most obvious solution would be to invest in an external optical drive but it's an unnecessary added expense and NZXT's products are freely available here, even this case.
That said I can afford to dispense of the optical drive but I still prefer to have one, it comes in handy from time to time.

Point taken but Australia is a pretty well developed economy overall but in an economy like South Africa's, it's a mixture of 1st and 3rd world, it's not NZXT's problem at all I admit but a lot of people can't afford to be without something like an optical drive, I suppose the most obvious solution would be to invest in an external optical drive but it's an unnecessary added expense and NZXT's products are freely available here, even this case.
That said I can afford to dispense of the optical drive but I still prefer to have one, it comes in handy from time to time.

Fair point for sure but I don't think NZXT is going for anything less than hardcore gamer's with this elite case.

Edit:
And the number of USB 3.0 ports is limited by the chipset. A motherboard supporting 10 or more USB 3.0 ports is overkill for the majority. Though they may have that many USB devices, those devices don't need USB 3.0 performance.
Sorry you misunderstood, I generally assumed people would know I was referring to the motherboard headers.

Last edited:
I use Blueray Disk to make backups of most everything on my drive. They seem to have a level of integrity that magnetic media doesn't have. Even though I do use 5.25 drive bays, I can understand why others may not. I do see a day that optical drives die out, but I don't see that day coming until all mechanical drives die out. SSD's will need to replace mechanical drives as mass storage devices, before I stop using optical media for backup solutions.

I guess each to their own
Ahh, OK that makes sense! And I agree.

I wonder if USB 3.1 will be pinned differently? If it is pinned differently, that will make matters even worse.
I'm so glad. Although English isn't my first language
I use Blueray Disk to make backups of most everything on my drive. They seem to have a level of integrity that magnetic media doesn't have. Even though I do use 5.25 drive bays, I can understand why others may not. I do see a day that optical drives die out, but I don't see that day coming until all mechanical drives die out. SSD's will need to replace mechanical drives as mass storage devices, before I stop using optical media for backup solutions.
For sure optical drives days are numbered, just like everything else, but they'll be around a while longer and I still find them handy.

That (very simple) mod for the drives is choice. and dual 360 Rads? This might be the case I've been looking to get for my Star Citizen build. I'l assuming the front Rad eats up all the Hard drive trays though so I'll have to find a way around that... I'll wait to see what others do in this case and emulate that if I get one of these monsters (in red or white).

An interesting idea, but I'm not sure if I would be willing to give up on having a 5.25" drive just yet.

NZXT products are in general poor quality. I had H2 case and the whole case fell apart in just 1 year of use. I mean literally. The header wires frayed, the front cover door came off. The rubber grommets inside to hold wires lost their rigidity. Even the CPU fan I got had its rubber strings loose strength after 6 months. So it couldnt hold the fans around the CPU heatsink. Rant over. But please read public reviews on amazon, newegg or flipkart before buying NZXT products.
Not really... I always check on Newegg for customer reviews before I buy and what I could find were many 4/5 and 5/5 rated cases from NZXT. I'm sure if this case was of evident poor quality TechSpot would have suggested so as well.

Also, for the commenter above, I believe this is not a "Designed by Razer" chassis. This is the original one from NZXT without all the green stuff plastered on it.

Sorry Steve, and I don't mean to troll or hide behind an anonymous guest post or anything but, for all the talk about temp performance, space and cable management, etc... was there nothing to say about the average noise of the casing? Or did I miss that part? I thought it was intended to be a "silent" chassis but I didn't see any comments on that.

Two problems with case.

I don't have any problem with people not wanting to have an optical drive with their PC but I do hate it when they insist optical drives are redundant. It is as annoying as those folks who believe PC are no longer relevant due to tablets!

I have a large collection of CDs and DVDs and I want the option of playing them on my PC. I know you can stream a load of content today but it is seldom of the same high quality. There is two very good reasons for having 5.25" bays on a PC. 5.25" DVD drives are very cheap to purchase. They cost a fraction of an external drive and you don't lose desk space.

Two problems with case.

I use optical drives - EVERYDAY - Do they have a mod for that "empty" 5.25" space? Maybe a 'door' panel that can be swapped out & left if you don't use? Something to suggest maybe - Side mounted doors?

If the ports on top are not being used - why not supply "plastic plugs" for the ports and they can be retained when port is in use & re-inserted when not in use - both of my comments would be fairly inexpensive "fixes" although the first one ("5.25" bay doors) would have to be an option at the design stage or manufacture stage - trying to cut through finished work (after market change) "NEVER" retains a professional "look". I have done mods to cases (including one of those dreadful acrylic cases - NEVER AGAIN) & almost all my modifications were to add extra 3.5 bays - furnace ducting metal hanging roll - that material (big hole little hole) is the perfect size to 'hang' extra drives & still leave room between for cooling.

I use optical drives - EVERYDAY - Do they have a mod for that "empty" 5.25" space? Maybe a 'door' panel that can be swapped out & left if you don't use? Something to suggest maybe - Side mounted doors?

I am genuinely interested, what do you use optical drives for everyday?

I have been searching and searching for a case. Then I spotted this case and decided it was exactly what I wanted - until I realised it had no external drive. Like a few others have mentioned, my main issue is that I like my OS on a disc, I also have some games on discs that I like to revisit now and then, photos on discs and I like audio in FLAC format; so cluttering up more desk space makes this case, unfortunately not a choice. Great case though for people who are happy not to have the external drive.

Back