OCZ Trion 150 SSD Review: The newest budget TLC SSD from OCZ

Steve

Staff member

It's been about six months since OCZ released its Trion 100 SSD series targeting value-orientated consumers, and despite featuring premium TLC NAND flash from parent company Toshiba, pricing wasn't exactly competitive on arrival. The drives were notably more expensive than the Samsung SSD 850 Evo and Crucial BX100.

OCZ promptly addressed this issue, but even today the Trion 100 series comes at a slightly higher cost per gigabyte than Samsung's TLC series. It's also significantly slower and based on what we've read online its reliability is also questionable.

With the Trion 100 series floundering about, OCZ is looking to replace it with the Trion 150 SSD, a slightly cheaper revision that should improve performance and reliability. Namely, OCZ is moving away from Toshiba's A19nm TLC NAND in favor of its newer 15nm TLC NAND. While throughput specifications remain the same, OCZ says users should see up to a 50% increase in performance in many real world cases such as file transfers and this is obviously something we will be looking at closely.

Read the complete review.

The 960GB version for $270 got my attention. Some of the numbers certainly were not impressive, but all in all it looks like a pretty good deal.

I'm torn between this and the 850 EVO. I don't care for TLC memory but want a decent SSD that's cheap for a cheap laptop I need to get myself for school. I'll admit that for the price of the Trion 240GB that it caught my eye but the 850 EVO is more durable, and maybe $20 more tops. Think I'm still going to go with the EVO.

I will say I like the design scheme of the Trion 150 though. Doesn't matter since none of us will ever see it once it's in the system though.

The Mushkin Enhanced (and several more makers) in my opinion are better drives than Trion. I'm torn between Samsung Evo and Mushkin Enhanced. I've had my eye on OCZ Trion 100 for a while, but nothing seems to encourage my desire for them.

Back