TechSpot

Odd Bus Speed Change on Dell Latitude C400

By etgeek
Feb 5, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've had this Dell Latitude C400 for quite a while now, but recently I've noticed that the bus speed (which is usually 133 MHz) changes by itself to 33 MHz and doesn't change back unless you do a couple of reboots. I know that it's not the SpeedStep thing because that should make it run at 800 MHZ processing speed. It's labeled as a 1.2 GHZ CPU and currently it's running at around 193 MHZ according to CPU-Z. Dell says that it's my hard drive... don't know how that could affect the bus speed, but I guess it's because it's Dell. :haha: What could be the issue and how can I fix it other than replacing parts?

Here's the specs that it has:

Dell Latitude C400 - Service Tag DP4Q821
    Pentium III-M @ 1.2 GHz
    256 PC 133 SDRAM
    Western Digital 60 GB PATA HDD
    Windows XP Pro
  2. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

We had the same problem, and it did go away when we replaced the hard drive.
  3. etgeek

etgeek TS Rookie Topic Starter

I can't see how it's the hard drive though. I bought it in July of 2006 so it's not old at all really. I know it isn't a compatibility issue because it's been in this for a few months. It used to be in an IBM laptop which worked well but shuts off whenever it wants to (but that's for another thread). I'll try a different one (IBM 20 GB, probably close to the original) after I get out of class.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.