OEM Windows XP install help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdexter1

I am finally upgrading to XP from 2k And heres what I have....

My system has 2 hard drives...

C:= 17gig that has my W2K on it. This is a master drive.
D:= 100 Gig that has nothing important on it. This is a slave drive.

I want to swap the drives and make the 100 gig my master and the 17 gig a slave for storing pics, vids and documents.

Swapping the jumpers is no problem. I am just a bit uneasy on installing the OEM OP software. I know it has to be installed on a clean, formatted hard drive.

Should I format the 100 gig first, swap hard drives next then remove W2K, then install XP?

Anyone chime in here......

Just change the jumpers and ide cable so that the 100GB is the master and the 17gb is the slave. Make sure the computer bios is set to boot off of the CD drive. Put in the WIndows XP cd and boot the computer follow the on-sceen instructions to format the 100GB hard drive and install windows. Then you could go into COntro Panel, Admin Tools, Computer Management, then Disk Management, right click on the 17GB drive and click format to clean that drive unless you want to keep some of the files. Then you could save the files to a folder on the 100gig and then format the 17gig. I hope I didn't confuse you because I just confused myself. :)

hi, i would remove 17 gig, make your 100gig master (you have to move it to the end of the IDE Cable), install your windows XP as discribed in this thread by Howard Hopkinso: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic53903.html

then connect your 17gig as slave, boot up Xp should boot up (Not likely, but if it does not boot straight to your win xp install then just go into your bios and set first boot hard drive as your 100gig)

Then from xp open your 17gig, save anything you want from the old win 2k on your 100gig, then use disk management to delete and recreate the partition's on your 17gig.

Note: important to delete the partion's on the 17gig so that you do not get conflict with 2 active partions on your system.

First thing you have to do is to backup the 100gb disk. You should try to copy everything on the 100gb disk to the 17gb one. Uninstall all the software you can to make space if you run out. If it dont fit, try to back up to another computer using the network or a removable hard disk. When everything is backed up, turn off the computer and make the 100gb disk jumper master (the jumpers are not enough, the IDE cables have to be swiched as well) and the 17gb one slave. IF YOU DONT WANT TO DUAL BOOT LEAVE THE 17GB DISK OFF, DISCONNECT IT!!!, IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO BOOT WIN 2000 LEAVE IT IN!!!

Board Slave Master
IDE /-------/----/

Make sure the drives appear how you want on the BIOS and proceed to install Windows. Install on the 100gb disk and format it NTFS quick. After XP is installed, copy your files you backed up to the 17gb disk to the 100 gb one. Use it as your main storage, forget abaout the 17gb disk for storing important data.

What I recomend:

If you dont care about running Win 2000 you can format the 17gb disk inside Windows (plug it after XP is up and running) and use it as an automatic backup using a free program like Microsoft's SyncToy.

It will copy everything on a directory to another directory on the other disk, so if your disk fails, at least you have your documets safe! This is smater than just copying your files on another disk, makes everything harder to sort.

If 17gb is way to small for your files, buy a new one, you can find a 80gb disk for less than $80, cheap insurance for all your data.

oem should work ok. after you switch the disks, you won't have an operating system or even cd rom support for that matter. here's what you can do:

get a 98 floppy boot disk from www.bootdisk.com
start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios
go to boot sequence and choose "boot from cd first"
save bios, exit.
let xp install.

alternately, you can just boot with 98 and cd-rom support. then
navigate to i386 folder in xp cd, and use winnt.exe command to have xp install.

If you use method discribed by "alidabiri" you will have to Consider the the following:

1) you will have to delete your win2k (which is currently your system partion)
before you install xp. (and loose anything you might want saved)

2) if you dont delete win2k! before you install xp! then xp will install as a dual boot system and you would not be able to format, remove or delete all the files on that disk, or take that disk out in future, because if you did then xp will not boot. and you will have to go through agg to correct it.

so i would recommend that you only use this method if you want delete everything before you install xp.

All went ok....
I just removed the 17 gig HD because I left my other jumpers at home....I'm doing this at work.
I just put the disk in and it was already partitioned to ntfs so I just reformatted it at it installed as prompted..
Thanks for everyones help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back