Old computer becoming home server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a new, better computer than the one I'm on right not *knock on wood nothing goes wrong* I have linux mandrake on this computer, and was thinking of turning it into a sort of sever for our home network. It has a 40 gig drive, and I would probably put a load of files when experimenting on the new computer.

Would this be practical? I want to do this for my senior project at school, (in 10th now), but thinking that I could "practice," as it will have to net with random linux distros and a 98se machine.

Also, it could be set up to allow logons to an gui session I assume.

Oh yes, a very good idea. Linux will be a good fileserver for Windows machines. I recommend upgrading to Samba 3 though (your Linux came with Samba 2).

You can use the Linux box to set up a web or ftp server also without putting your main computer at risk. Maybe use it as a firewall even.

I don't think I'm talented enough to set it up as a firewall. I think I'll set it up first as a home server and go from there.

So as a server, would I have individual samba logins, and then be able to put restrictions on the disk space used by a login name?

And once Samba is loaded, running, and ruling windows as a networked server, would it be easy to make it a web server?

You can set up Samba any way you like. You can have individual logins with disk quotas, you can have share level passwords, you can have no logins at all.

Setting up a webserver is very easy. You just install apache and enable the service. The biggest problem for you will be setting up your network so that the webserver can be accessed from the internet.

When setting up the network originally, we used a 98se gateway to set it up. Will I be able to make the neccessary changes just on this emachine? Or do I also need to modify the gateway?

Would it matter what port on the router it is plugged into?

As to setting Samba up, I read documentation on it during study hall, and that looks very easy. (hmm... and can you do that on XP? NO. I tried.)

Geez. Now I feel like one of those boys at my school who have a job just to pay for their cars and mods for their cars. :rolleyes:

If you want to set up a server accessible from the internet, then you have to do some configuration at the gateway/firewall.

If you mean which local port to use on a router with a built-in switch then it is not important.

home server

If you're interested in running a home server there are many ideas available at

project home server website

Its geared towards Windows ports of Open Source software but for Linux enthusiasts there are enough ideas there to keep you busy.

Contributors are welcome there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back