Old computer will not start after loading printer driver

Michael_NY

I have an old Compaq running XP. I attempted to install a new HP wireless network printer via the included install disk. It had the following results;

1) When trying to install, Norton said there was a suspicious file and Norton shut it all down.
1a) Since I have the printer installed on another computer, and I think I used that disk to do so, I decided Norton was wrong and disabled it.

2) Next attempted at installing the way the disk instructed resulted in a) the HP program not noticing the printer connected via USB, and b) normal Windows printer install not being able to find the correct drivers.

3) Step 2 also resulted in the computer no longer booting normally. I had to boot in safe mode.
3a) Repeated attempts at booting in Safe Mode and shutting down did not result in allowing me to boot normally. Computer would freeze at the "XP still loading" phase.

4) I used Recovery in Safe Mode to roll back the computer to the day before. This allowed the computer to boot normally.

5) I went online and installed the printer with a file from HP's website. This program was very different from the one included on the disk. Printer loaded fine and I was able to print and scan.

6) After turning off the computer, it reverted back to the problems above in #3. I attempted the same "solution", but it could not complete a recovery. I tried this for several different recovery points, but none of them actually completed; Recovery simply fails to roll the computer back.

7) I had been able to boot into Safe Mode with Networking to at least use the internet, but now Safe Mode with Networking does not even connect to my home network. I cannot get online to download any programs on that computer.

Additional note; That computer has been taking several minutes to actually turn off. Telling it to turn off causes it to wait at least three minutes before asking if I want to shut down or sleep.

Is there anything I can do, or is it just at the end of its life?

Thank you

When a computer starts to have problems, and Norton is installed, it just makes things worse. Remove all things Norton if you can and re-install XP fresh

Sadly, a reinstall isn't an option; we have no disks.

Fiance couldn't wait; she purchased a new notebook with windows 8. What a load of crap that program is.

Tmagic650, what should we use for our computers if we get rid of Norton?

Thanks

Back