Old Printer Frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigredmachine

I have an old HP 812C (about 5 years old) that i'm trying to use on one of my computers, but I'm having an annoying problem with it. The problem is that it prints black and red but thats it, no blues or yellows. Everythings fine except for that. Yes, I did try a new ink cartridge and it didnt work. So what now? Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it time for the trash?

Did you replace both ink cartridges, or just one, and which? Also, are the cartridges tightly hooked in?

hmmmm, take a look in the printer and see if there is anything strange (I.E. loose ink, bent objects, etc.) and repost. I will be logging off very soon, so I will read this post again tomorrow. See you then.

your print head is clogged. Remove it if possible and soak it in rubbing alcohol overnight. Air dry completely. Then run your auto-cleaner after re-inserting the ink cartridges.

the print head is what transfers the ink to the paper. On some printers like Canon, the ink tanks sit on the print head. Others they are combined. If you cannot clean the head on your model, you will have to replace it.

I have tried 2 different ink cartridges and both of them operate the same way

I also did not find anything strange when I inspected the thing

As far as I know HP print heads are on the cartridges themselves, at least the old ones were like the ones in question here. So replacing the ink would have taken care of a clogged head issue.

Do you have the proper printer drivers for your OS and printer?

I have everything installed correctly...All of a sudden it quit working right one day. Could it be becaus of the remanufactured cartridges my dad bought for it, or a printer cable problem? Right now it has an original HP color and office depot remanufactured black ink cartridges though.

It could be the cable. I'd try and borrow one from another piece of equipment or from a friend rather than buying a new one. I doubt the change in cartridge brand is going to cause you the problems you are seeing now, because you said the colors are messed up and you are using HP color.

Check the electrical contacts where the print cartridges match up with the printer. Clean those off with some isopropyl alcohol (higher the % the better).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back