Old Toshiba 200CDS memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

i have an old toshiba 200cds. It was working fine 'til some days ago...it powered on but nothing on screen...it was frozen...then i pulled out the 32mb memory module and the laptop working fine again but only with the 8mb onboard (not much huh). So i went for a new memory module but it was the same thing the computer powers but nohing on screen...i tried 10 different memory modules from which 2 were EDO; with those EDO PC started fine but wont recognize them (because of memory type compatibility ofcourse) but the remaining 8 were the same memory type and nothing...... is there a chance that mainboard has a failure? its curious because without memory in the slot PC works just fine no frezes or resets or any kind of problem...just that im only using 8 mb...so it seems that the main board "is working fine" right?

but im really confused because if it is ok, then why i cant start with the 32mb module or any other module?

i hope someone could give me some clues...thanks a lot for your time.

It may be a dirty or damaged contact - look very carefully at the pins where the memory fits and make sure that they are all OK. If you boot into the BIOS and reset the memory share for the video as low as possible you might get it to work.
Otherwise you may be right in thinking the motherboard has gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back