Oldie... ATI 9700 pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpuboye11

Hey all,

I have a 9700 pro and i need some help, 1st this is what i know about my pc,

Graphic card- AGP 8x ATI 9700 pro ( has not been overclocked )
Monitor: sony 19in
Motherboard: Abit UL8 socket 939 has ddr and agp support
cpu: 2.2 ghz..
ATI software; Current

I just got this new mobo and cpu. BEFORE i reinstalled windows and switched mobos, and cpus i played games, like cs, f.e.a.r and others.. During the game i would get some random thing like lines, shadows acting up... No big deal, had the card for like......2 years.. then i change the mother board and cpu and it starts up like crazy. Same settings same patch for games same everything.

What can i do to fix this. I have installed the motherboards agp driver. And updated the bois and all drivers

In the motherboards bios you need to turn off any on-board graphics controller. Make sure the first video device is AGP. Download and install the latest ATI driver. You can get it here even though you think the driver is current:

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

Don't forget to check the AGP settings in the bios too

i have checked, i have no onboard graphic card. and i just installed new driver yesterday. also uninstalling them.. restarting, reinstalling...

How about the AGP settings in the bios like memory allocation for AGP and such? Are you running XP, SP2. Is Windows fully updated using Microsoft Update?

windows has been updated

bois settings"

2x,4x,8x

tried fast write on and off
something called a timer??? tried on all option...

Other installs

My motherboard has several.1 for AGP.I have the 9600,no internal.
I read my mbd manual for AGP settings as mentioned.
The manual explains this.
You need a motherboard manual and cd to be properly equiped.
There are installations like AGP to install.
Do you have them ?
Someone mentioned drivers,I'll mention Catalyst Control Panel.
Get the latest.It's an easy process to just name your model.

I have read both the manuals for my graphic card and mobo...

and i have the latest Catalyst Control Panel and driver. just did it!

I'm running a 9600XT on my system below... What Operating System are you running? XP, SP2? What is your AGP Apperature size?

Cpuboye11 said:
my bad, i forgot to add that, lol...

windows xp sg2 ( upgrade version )
srry...

That's cool... So now, you changed the motherboard and CPU and you are still getting lines and shadows in the video. The 9700 has to be causing this, right? Or the power supply?

the graphic have had some minor problems; such as black dots and stuff, before i changed mobo and cpu...

BUT;
when i changed the mobo and cpu and put my 9700 pro in here i get random dots plus added things... to lag, to white marks popping up for no reason. I do not believe the graphic or the mobo has a problem, i feel that it is something software or bois related. But i do not know that much to figure it out!

May be heat, clean the fan and ventilate the case with a large fan and see if that fixes the problem temporarily.

I have a cooling kit i bought for it, it is at 98 F... so it not running hot, under recommend temp... for sure!

Cpuboye11 said:
not to be rude but new video card= $$$

i don't have $$$$

so thanks for the help!
Kyle

You came here for a solution... now it's your turn to take advice. See if you can borrow one from a friend just for test purposes. Their are some simple 3D AGP cards for around $40

One more ?

You started out by describeing a game problem..1 Other check.Is this an 8x game and is Catalyst set to 8x and does your mbd support 8x graphics.
What other video problems do you have ?
Try the game website for a patch.This is common for games as complaints arrive . Send them yours.
A new card is only necessary if yours doesn't support the games you use.

zipperman said:
You started out by describeing a game problem..1 Other check.Is this an 8x game and is Catalyst set to 8x and does your mbd support 8x graphics.
What other video problems do you have ?
Try the game website for a patch.This is common for games as complaints arrive . Send them yours.
A new card is only necessary if yours doesn't support the games you use.

The ATI 9700 Pro shouldn't have any problems playing these games... We've ruled out drivers, system and what else? Heat? Power supply?

Thats right

Tmagic650 said:
The ATI 9700 Pro shouldn't have any problems playing these games... We've ruled out drivers, system and what else? Heat? Power supply?
I should have just suggested game patches,since it wasn't mentioned.
I have many game patches and fixes.It's very common.

Well

You said the card was having slight problems in your old board right ? Well your card may just be to the point of no return and needs replacement....Simple solution.....

However try a diff video card in there and see what happens.....You can buy one from wal-mart and return it after your test purposes....

thank you for replying.

I have tried a other 9700 pro. one that i know is 100% working, still; the same problem. Lagging with out agp controller driver, and Gpu crashing when it is installed.

It does it in all games...... FEAR, CS, CSS, UT, UT04, SimCity 4; basicily any time the gpu is in heavy use....

Bois Settings;
1x,2x,4x,8x
Fastwrite : Tried on Enabled and Disabled
Mem: 128
Sec timer: 00

Cpuboye11 said:
thank you for replying.

I have tried a other 9700 pro. one that i know is 100% working, still; the same problem. Lagging with out agp controller driver, and Gpu crashing when it is installed.

It does it in all games...... FEAR, CS, CSS, UT, UT04, SimCity 4; basicily any time the gpu is in heavy use....

Bois Settings;
1x,2x,4x,8x
Fastwrite : Tried on Enabled and Disabled
Mem: 128
Sec timer: 00

If this is truly the case,
you have a motherboard/video card incompatibility. How you can resolve this I don't know, other than trying to reduce your systems video handling capabilities further

Has any one ever had this problem or anything like it. I never heard of a motherboard not likely or running with a motherboard that was made to handle this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back