Onboard 7.1 audio and 4.1 speaker issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

lehmag

Hi, I recently purchased a new PC and it came with on board sound with a driver from RealTek. The driver version is 5.10.0.5128. I have some Klipsch 4.1 speakers and for some reason I can get all but one speaker to work with the onboard sound. I've tried just about everything in the RealTek Audio I/O software to get it to recognize all the speakers, but it's like one of the channels is not working. Is there a reason for this that I can correct easily? Or is it possible this audio system not work with a 4.1 speaker system?

I contacted RealTek and they gave me a program to do a dump of my audio information too. I won't put it all here, but if it helps I can post it.

So far I haven't heard back from them after I sent them the dump.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Gary

Rough Stuff

Thats a wierd problem, u need a better speaker system i belive if u want 7.1 sound

On my Creative 7.1 speakers I have to set an input selector switch on the subwoofer (this is the master input point) to: 5.1 to 7.1 upmix. When it was set on direct I only had 5.1. do you have similar switch on your speakers? Have you switch speakers to ensure it's not a dead speaker? Is there a 4.1 speaker set-up option in the Realtek software?

I don't have that type of switch on my subwoofer. Also, it really doesn't matter to me at this point if I get 7.1 sound. I just wanted all my speakers to work. The RealTek software has setups by channel. I think it has a range of 2, 4, 6 and 8 channels. I'm guessing my speaker setup would be for 5 channels and maybe that is the problem. However, if that was the case I don't know why the RealTek tech guy didn't just tell me that.

Does anyone know if 4.1 speakers have 5 channels? I'm no expert on audio thats for sure.

Thanks,
Gary

pick 5 channels -the 5th one being your 0.1 (i.e. subwoofer).
What mobo do you have? My mobo is an Asus AN8-E with realtek 7.1 onboard. I installed the nVidia sound driver (afetr installing realtek) and now have much more flexibility with it - try the same!

Well if speaker system truly is 5 channel that may be part of the problem cause the RealTek audio software doesn't have a setting for 5 channels. It skips 5. It goes from 4 to 6. It only has even number channels.

I'll try the Nvidia driver.

Thanks,
Gary

i have a AN35 Ultra
Well a 5.1 speaker is as common as the 7.1. My sound properities offers me it but if I use it nothing changes still.

2 plugs = 4 channels (stereo setting). Klipsch 4.1 = 4 channels.

are you sure all the speakers work? try re-arranging the plugs into the sub. If you can't do that, see if a buddy can hook them up to his PC.

Or, only plug in 1 miniplug, and change your software settings to 2 channel only. See if all 4 speakers work.

Well all the speakers were working on my old pc before I hooked them up to the new one. I guess I could hook them back up again and see if they all work like before.

Well I tried the Nvidia driver and it didn't take. Said something about it not being compatible.

Also, I checked the speaker in question and it's not the speaker itself. I swapped out the speakers and it's the plug or channel that is not producing the sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back