Onboard sound card vs soundblaster etc???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an on-board sound card that is built on motherboard and Im getting interference noise (i think) that comes thru the speakers at about the half way point and beyond. So if I want a decent sound it sounds like crap. Will a soundblaster card or other eliminate this or no?

Yes it should eliminate this noise. I had this problem when I was putting my computer together and hadn't bought a good soundcard yet. It got annoying quick, but was easily fixed with a new card. I think you will also enjoy the new sound and clarity with a GOOD sound card.

BTW,
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sounds great and you can find them for $20 online. There are some 7.1 cards using the Via Envy chipset for about $25. I think the Audigy's are over priced.

Well, I'm not sure about 5.1 model (I suspect it's the same), but I have both SoundBlaster Live! Value and Live! without Value (ie. normal with gold-plated connectors etc), and I think signal to noise ratio is poor. There's awful lot of hissing even when all unnecessary inputs and outputs are muted. I can hear it easily because I use closed headphones (ie. ones that cover the whole ear) in a quiet apartment. Moving the card to another PCI slot away from other cards / components doesn't help either.

You'll need to give more information regarding what you are planning use the soundcard for and also your budget. That way it will be easier for us to give you recommendations.

This is what I need it for !

Ok basically the onboard sound card thats built in the motherboard has a nasty noise coming from it thru the speakers, almost like interference. Im only using it so I have good sound when playing movies, cd's etc. Im not looking for anything great like dolby digital, thx etc. Just something that I can turn up a bit without any interference noise. I get the sound with the speakers on and it starts when the volume gets about a quarter of the way or higher. I've tried 3 different sets of quality speakers and get the noise with all of them, so I would assume its the sound card????? Im not sure what causes the noise? All the other electronic parts in the PC I assume? Thanks

Since you still have listed your budget for the new card, here are the following recommendations:

Hercules Fortissimo 3 7.1 around US$45
M Audio Revolution 7.1 around US$75
Chaintech AV710 7.1 around US$25

EDIT: If you are under tight budget stick to the Chaintech. It will blow away SB Live anytime in terms of sound quality.

Id go with the SB live- a more expensive card wont necessarily guarantee that you will not still get the interference. If you want to pony up more bucks look for an external device as this will be your best bet for noise-free sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back