Onboard sound issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

bretty

I have another pooter in my brothers room that used to use the SB 16 ISA card. After I have formatted the entire computer...I cant get it to work?
I decided that that card has just died in the ***, So I activated the onboard AC-97 audio.

It all seemed to work, although when a sound goes to the speakers, It is very quiet and distorted. nnononono I have tried another set of speakers, and it is the same. Just to hear the sound I have to have the speaker volume to full. If the sound is getting to the speakers then the drivers are doing their job right? so what else cound cause this problem? We cannot LAN untill this machine has sound......please help......

Thanks in advance...

I have the latest ac97 drivers, and the mobo drivers.

It is a Soltek contructed board using VIA KT133 chipset. I have the latest drivers for everything (thanks to DSL!) I doubt it is a driver thing though, as the sound is actually getting to the speakers.
Would it be a hardware fault? I mean I have never used the onboard sound chip in the mobo before....so it could be anything, it is not like it has worked before.
Speaking of working before......what would be the reason why the old ISA SB 16 has packed up?

I had a similar problem once in 98. The sounds was distorted. I removed the mobo drivers and then reinstalled them and it cleared up.

just thought I would do the right thing and finish this thread.

I have unistalled the onboard sound, as I picked up a free SB vibra 128 from work.
I have installed that and got the latest drivers, and everything works great. Thanks to all that posted, i did read all the posts.
Your replies are appreciated....and I will be back.

Thanks for "doing the right thing" as you put it.
It is appreciated as much as you appreciate the response.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back