Onboard video chipset: Nvidia GTX285 compatability

By Peasant79
Dec 24, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. If a motherboard has an onboard video chipset, can you still install a graphics card into the PCI Express slot and use it? For example, if one were to purchase a motherboard with an ATI onboard video chipset, would it still be compatible with an Nvidia GTX 285?

I think I need a new motherboard for under $100. I built my computer over 2 years ago and the motherboard had an Nvidia nForce 780i SLI chipset, but I can't seem to find any motherboard on newegg.com(where I generally shop for computer parts) that has this chipset.

Any recommendations on a good, cheap mother board that can support 4 gig DDR2 RAM, Socket LGA 775, Intel Q9450 processor, and an Nvidia GTX 285 graphics card?
  2. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,256   +110

Yes.
    Why do you need a new motherboard, your setup is pretty old.
  3. Peasant79

Peasant79 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I think I may have fried my mother board. Its either that or the CPU. I posted a description of my problem here:

I posted a description of my problem in the Windows BSOD, Freezing, Restarting Help forum. I'd provide the link but unfortunately I can't because I am not a level 5 or higher here yet.

I'm not getting any BIOS beeps whatsoever.

So I can use a Nvidia Graphics card with an ATI board?
    Is there any physical way to tell if a motherboard or CPU is destroyed? I've looked both over and they look fine to me.

My setup is old but I can't afford to upgrade. I have to cheaply make do with what I have and add whatever component is faulty.
  4. hellokitty[hk]

hellokitty[hk] I'm a TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,256   +110

Yes, like I said.
    Easiest way is to test it IMO. If you can, borrow a friends, though that's sort of a hassle for them.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.