Once again talking about LCDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vigilante

I'm revising this old subject from my birthday thread.
I am now, finally, going to be able to get an LCD in the next few weeks. I've gone on Newegg a few times and done some comparing, but, as always, I like the input of my TS pals.

From my narrowing down, I've come across a couple Acer and Hyundai models that seem to have a lot going for them. Some things I'm considering:

Size: 19" square or widescreen (pros cons to both?). Or what about 20+ widescreen?

DVI plug for sure.

Tilt at least

Thin bezel and no need for speakers.

< 10ms: 8ms seems common, that's fine, but not over 10ms.

600 contrast, 300 brightness.

I was leaning away from widescreen until I worked on one at my work and I rather enjoyed it. So now I'm thinking, the loss in height is not so bad.

What are your thoughts? It's time for an upgrade! woohoo!

I have that Viewsonic and it's a sweet monitor.

However, I'm not a gamer ... so as far as refresh-type issues go, don't know, don't care.

It has great color accuracy, great contrast, and good uniformity/brightness.

It's an 8-bit panel, which was most important to me.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Considering the refresh rate is usually 60 or 75 Hz, what would it help having refresh rate lower than 13 ms?

Because it does :)

What does it help to have a car that goes to 150mph when the speed limit is only 75 or so?
And they do make 4ms LCDs, and even 2ms, surely there is a reason.

Vigilante said:
they do make 4ms LCDs, and even 2ms, surely there is a reason.
Yes, people buy anything if it's marketed well.

That 4 ms isn't from black to white to black.

I guess you read what you linked:
ViewSonic VX2025WM Black-Silver 20.1" 8ms gray-to-gray (avg.); 16ms white-black-white (typ)

Car analogies don't work with computers very well. Can you increase the refresh rate to 100+ Hz with LCD monitors? 1 s / 16 ms ≈ 60 Hz.

All manufacturers methods for determining contrast and refresh are somewhat different and have to be taken with a grain of salt.
I rather liked the LG better myself.

8ms seems to be very common among the 19" and 20/20.1" offerings. So I didn't want to get any slower. But my main focus is not gaming and movies. So it isn't the very highest priority.
Even 16ms w/b/w isn't bad considering LCDs started over 20ms and more. So I'm sure it will be just fine.

Which of those two would you get?

I think that was a great car analogy, I don't know what you're talking about :)

You have a better 20.1" widescreen option in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back