Once again talking about LCDs

By Vigilante
Aug 5, 2006
  1. I'm revising this old subject from my birthday thread.
    I am now, finally, going to be able to get an LCD in the next few weeks. I've gone on Newegg a few times and done some comparing, but, as always, I like the input of my TS pals.

From my narrowing down, I've come across a couple Acer and Hyundai models that seem to have a lot going for them. Some things I'm considering:

Size: 19" square or widescreen (pros cons to both?). Or what about 20+ widescreen?

DVI plug for sure.

Tilt at least

Thin bezel and no need for speakers.

< 10ms: 8ms seems common, that's fine, but not over 10ms.

600 contrast, 300 brightness.

I was leaning away from widescreen until I worked on one at my work and I rather enjoyed it. So now I'm thinking, the loss in height is not so bad.

What are your thoughts? It's time for an upgrade! woohoo!
  2. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

3. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Topic Starter Posts: 1,666

4. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Considering the refresh rate is usually 60 or 75 Hz, what would it help having refresh rate lower than 13 ms?
  5. XenaWP

XenaWP TS Rookie Posts: 53

I have that Viewsonic and it's a sweet monitor.

However, I'm not a gamer ... so as far as refresh-type issues go, don't know, don't care.

It has great color accuracy, great contrast, and good uniformity/brightness.

It's an 8-bit panel, which was most important to me.
  6. Vigilante

Because it does :)

What does it help to have a car that goes to 150mph when the speed limit is only 75 or so?
    And they do make 4ms LCDs, and even 2ms, surely there is a reason.
  7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

Yes, people buy anything if it's marketed well.

That 4 ms isn't from black to white to black.

I guess you read what you linked:
    Car analogies don't work with computers very well. Can you increase the refresh rate to 100+ Hz with LCD monitors? 1 s / 16 ms ≈ 60 Hz.
  8. Vigilante

All manufacturers methods for determining contrast and refresh are somewhat different and have to be taken with a grain of salt.
    I rather liked the LG better myself.

8ms seems to be very common among the 19" and 20/20.1" offerings. So I didn't want to get any slower. But my main focus is not gaming and movies. So it isn't the very highest priority.
    Even 16ms w/b/w isn't bad considering LCDs started over 20ms and more. So I'm sure it will be just fine.

Which of those two would you get?

I think that was a great car analogy, I don't know what you're talking about :)

You have a better 20.1" widescreen option in mind?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.