One Computer on Wired Network has no Internet (Win7)

I have a really strange situation today that started after I had to reboot our UTM device and then switch. We have a wired network although our modem/router is also wireless if needed. We don't use the wireless normally....

After rebooting the UTM and Switch all 6 computers were turned back on again, one by one. 5 of the 6 were up and running and on the network and internet straight away, One PC connected to the LAN but cannot get internet access. Our DHCP server is on the UTM device and each computer has it's IP address reserved. This computer had 192.168.1.18 reserved and it still has that IP address when I do ipconfig. It can access all the files on our NAS and all the printers on the network.

I ran all the ipconfig commands to release, renew, flushdns. I reset winsock and rebooted. Still no internet.

I did a print screen off one of the PCs that is working properly and compared it. Apart from the MAC address and other PC specific items I could see no difference.

So I put a wireless dongle on it to see if it would connect the the internet on wireless. It worked I had internet (but no LAN other than to the wireless router). So I thought there must be a problem with the NIC. I went to the local PC store and bought a new NIC card and installed it. I disabled the old one and connected the network cable to the new one. No difference.

If I enable the NIC card I have LAN but no internet, if I enable the wireless dongle I have internet but no LAN. I need both!

I cannot figure out what has changed on this ONE PC that was working fine until today.

Oh one other thing I tried that didn't work. I connected a brand new Ethernet cable directly from the modem.router to the PC. So this bypassed the UTM device and Switch. Still no wired internet :'(

Try these
  1. ping 8.8.8.8
  2. nslookup google.com
  3. ping techspot.com
(1) shows packets going to google's dns
(2) shows you can convert name to ip address
(3) shows access to our site

Uninstall the NIC drivers on that PC, but don't delete them. Reboot the PC and let Windows re-build the NIC drivers again. Then reboot the system once more. If issue hasn't gone away? NIC is duff (bad) Replace the NIC card or disable the one in the BIOS and get another one to use as PCI, or PCI-E card slot.

Back