One Neat Cube: Xigmatek Nebula Mini-ITX Case Review

Steve

Staff member
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/review/774-xigmatek-nebula/]https://www.techspot.com/review/774-xigmatek-nebula/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

"though some of the case's limitations won't be a problem if you're going to use an AMD APU such as the A8-7600 instead of a discrete GPU for a basic home theater-oriented build."

If this were the <case> I would buy something that didnt waste so much space!

"In short the Xigmatek Nebula fails miserably when it comes to cable management, but then does it really matter without any case windows?"

I would say it matters for airflow. Cramming the inside with unsused cables or long cables won't do the already limited airflow any favours.

It's a somewhat pretty case but fails on the requirements of an enthusiast case, as many move to the challenge of smaller cases and motherboards.

It does look "interesting," but I'll agree with Steve on this one regarding what he marks as negative points of the case, especially the top and base of the case. Neglecting the difficulty of not having nooks or anchor points for cable management, being able to remove 3 of the four facing sides with no snags is really nice. There were times where I wished my prodigy case did not have the SSD mounts and the side I/O affixed to the panel itself.

It's seriously too big for what it is, especially when you look at the SG10 which is 23L and fits full size GPUs, CPU heatsinks and does so with mATX at the same price, plus it has ventilation. Also as soon as "Violence" is required to install components something can be said about internal design, also the limited GPU option without removal of the Power/Activity LED cover is nothing to be desired when again you can get better cards in smaller options. Looks good on the outside, but that's it, minus the crummy top panel.

Man, why the hell can't someone come up with a case that:

1. Has the minimalist Lian-Li aluminum look
2. Fits a full-length video card and those big Noctua-type CPU coolers
3. Only has perforations on the sides for an intake fan, exhaust fan, PSU exhaust AND intake, and for the GPU if it faces one of the sides of the case
4. Tool-less access
5. Good cable management
6. As close to a cube as possible and maybe have a handle

It's like all these mATX and mini-ITX cases get some, but not all. Or it's almost exactly this, but there are not enough perforations for ventilation or the whole case is perforated.

@Sniped_Ash,
I use the Silverstone Temjin TJ08B-E. While it doesn't meet all your requirements (I'd love to find one that does!), it can fit very long video cards and large CPU coolers (it even has a stand for the CPU cooler and you could remove the hard drive bay for even more space), has great airflow from a 180mm fan and has decent cable management as there is a space to put unused cables. It also has a PSU intake or exhaust area. You need to be careful on the PSU length and it can be a little cramped to work in but is quite good. You also need to watch the airflow around the video cards as it doesn't get the main airflow so Silverstone recommend blower type fans (like a Titan cooler).

You don't mention silence on your list (important for me) but the main fan has 2 speed options and I reduce the RPM further using software that came with my Gigabyte motherboard so I'm currently happy with it.

Man, why the hell can't someone come up with a case that:

1. Has the minimalist Lian-Li aluminum look
2. Fits a full-length video card and those big Noctua-type CPU coolers
3. Only has perforations on the sides for an intake fan, exhaust fan, PSU exhaust AND intake, and for the GPU if it faces one of the sides of the case
4. Tool-less access
5. Good cable management
6. As close to a cube as possible and maybe have a handle

It's like all these mATX and mini-ITX cases get some, but not all. Or it's almost exactly this, but there are not enough perforations for ventilation or the whole case is perforated.

The Bitfenix Prodigy basically has all of that, though the composite feet/handles/wings (whatever you want to call them) might not be minimalisitic enough for you. To wit: it has a fairly minimalistic design besides the aformentioned "wings," it'll fit a full sized card, it has perforations you describe, thumbscrews open the case and secure the GPU, and the 3.5" drives are at least tool-less, with a modular PSU there is enough space to stuff extra cables out of the way, it is not quite a cube but it is not far off, and if you don't take off the composite "wings" like many people do, you have handles to carry it around.*

*the composite flexes a LOT to the point of worrying many people. I've walked up three flights of stairs fully loaded with one hand/handle bobbing up and down and had no problems.

https://www.techspot.com/products/cases/bitfenix-prodigy-mini-itx.85241/

Great Review as Always

I was very anxious to see some real world action on this case, im actually disappointed in the case itself since it looks nice from the outside, but the lack of cable management and fan ports makes me sad.

It looks like something I could really dig in a M-ITX build because of its nice sleek look, however I would like one mesh side mount for some extra cooling mounts otherwise it seems that even putting a 120mm radiator would be hard or getting any airflow in general.

AMD A10-7850K
Asrock FM2A88X-ITX+
Corsair Vengeance 16GB
Gigabyte GV-R777OC-1GD
ENERMAX Platimax 600W

Yes though you should select both an intel procesor and intel motherboard, which could change the ram used.

The Bitfenix Prodigy basically has all of that, though the composite feet/handles/wings (whatever you want to call them) might not be minimalisitic enough for you.

Too bad those plastic handles are the cheapest crap I think I have ever seen on a case, the rest of the case is decent however.

Too bad those plastic handles are the cheapest crap I think I have ever seen on a case, the rest of the case is decent however.
I was ready to say the same upon purchase, but after 6 months of regular moving around I'd trust those handles over most other plastic handles. They are MUCH stronger than first impressions provide. My only gripe is they can be a little sharp, but some sand paper or a grinder/buffing wheel fixes that quickly.

I was ready to say the same upon purchase, but after 6 months of regular moving around I'd trust those handles over most other plastic handles. They are MUCH stronger than first impressions provide. My only gripe is they can be a little sharp, but some sand paper or a grinder/buffing wheel fixes that quickly.

Would you think it's possible to reinforce said handles with steel or aluminum perhaps? I'm still skeptical, when I was working at a local computer store we had received them on launch and half of the cases had broken tops or bottoms, the corner where the screws secured the handle/base to the case had broken. That's where my concern lies really, that and fully loaded the case feels wobbly, at least our demo build was.

Back