One Newbie, 2 bum upgrades and 3 trips to PC World

By fruitmouse
Jun 6, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I use the Amilo A 1650G (AMD 64 3400).

What an awful day!
    Decided to upgrade to 1GB RAM and went to PC world where I was sold 2 x 512mb DDR2's which didn't even fit! Then back again to be told they had made a mistake and sold me a IGB DDR and me that I could put the 1GB RAM in one of the two slots and leave the other slot empty (I am sure I read that the Amilo A 1650G (AMD 64 3400) has a maximum capicity of 512mb per slot (is this right?). Anyway, it cost me £50 and this time it fit! I turned on my lap top and was amazed at the performance increase - until - about an hour in my screen went white with blue vertical stripes (what the heck is that?). This continued to happen throughout the day - sometimes white with blue strips, but the last three times just blank - and I had to force a shut down.

Can anyone please shed any light on this for me? Are the upgrade and the white hanging screen connected (or have I damaged the screen while changing the RAM)? I am no computer expert and this was my first attempt at anything hardware related - what a farse!

Anyway, I am back to my old laptop again, 512mb of ram - a bit slow - but alas, 40 minutes in and no blank hanging screen. Please, I just spent the past 8 hours on this, and I am deperate to know where it all went wrong - any feedback greatly appreciated.

fruitmouse.

The 1GB RAM I used was: Kingston; DDR; 200 pin; SO-DIMM; 200 broches; compatible 400MHz (PC3200); 333MHz(pc 2700); 266MHz (PC2100); RMN1-400/1G; 2.6V.
  2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,410   +213

You said it yourself. The maximum capacity is 1GB in two slots. That's 512MB in each slot. You got the wrong RAM again.

BTW, I checked to confirm this at the Fujitsu-Siemens website.
  3. fruitmouse

fruitmouse Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

thanks...

That's awesome - I know very little about harware issues so it was all guess work - but good to know I was right. Those mad men at pc world are gonna have toi refund me now - thanks again. Just didn't want to go demanding my cash back without having all the facts first - now I can argue my case.
    Fm
    Shame - cause it did run very fast - but just far too unstabe. Well some people on the Fuj Seimens board say my machine can be stretched up to 2 GIG - I don't think so after my experience...lol.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.