TechSpot

One year on, Google Loon balloons delivering 10x more bandwidth while staying up 10x as long

By Jos
Jun 16, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. It's been roughly a year since Google set out on an ambitious goal to connect rural and underserved areas with internet access using high-altitude balloons. And while Project Loon recently suffered a minor hiccup, in which one of the balloons...

Read more

2. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 747   +235

"Trials are currently underway in Brazil and New Zealand in partnership with local telcos, which are apparently seeing this as an opportunity to jointly reach underserved areas rather than as a threat to their business."

Why doesn't Google use this in America, the country with the highest percentage of rural citizens without access to internet? Also, coincidentally, Google's HOME COUNTRY.

Wendig0 likes this.
  3. motrin

motrin TS Enthusiast Posts: 156   +8

Google does test these in the US, I signed up in the loom website and weeks later two loom employees came to watch me alpha test the setup process on our home. cool stuff.

4. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,332   +804

I'm digging this project a lot.

5. ...and the reason for flight MH370 disappearance is now making sense, they hit a Loon.

6. Waste the last of the earth's helium. Who cares? No more superconuctivity, no more high energy physics reseach, no more MRI's. The future survivors will piss on our graves.

7. lipe123

lipe123 TS Guru Posts: 460   +83

Oh yeah much worse than going to the dollar store and filling 200 party balloons that will get popped in a day or two -right? (No. its not, you are a negative noob)

Unless the earths core for some reason stops emitting radiation we will have helium, and once the core stops being molten we'll have much bigger problems.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.