OpenGL 4.0 specification announced at GDC

By Jos
Mar 11, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. With the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco underway, Khronos Group, the association behind OpenGL has announced the fourth generation of its cross-platform graphics API. This is the first major update since the launch of OpenCL and brings the graphics standard more up to par with Microsoft's DirectX 11, with GPU-accelerated tessellation and various other performance improvements.

Read the whole story
  2. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 604

I havn't seem many games at all recently that utilize OpenGL (other then some Mac Ports). Seems like pretty much everything is using D3D these days.
  3. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,119   +51

True, and I remember old games had OpenGL and most crashed after a bit.

To the mobile industry such as handhelds this sounds nice.
  4. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,259   +216

As mobile and windows-alternative platforms become more and more prevalent, OpenGL will become more important. Since mobile gaming seems to be heralded as "the future" of gaming, standards like this will make it much easier to port between a variety of mobile operating systems. The more developers use OpenGL, the less dependent we are on Microsoft and their ever-evolving proprietary DirectX initiatives which are constantly aiming at forcing consumers to upgrade their OS for the latest stuff... I'm just sayin...
  5. paynetrain007

paynetrain007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 86

although Steam is preparing to launch many games on Mac and possibly Linux
  6. Rage will be OpenGL
  7. fwilliams

fwilliams Newcomer, in training Posts: 97

Speaking of Rage, it has been in development for a few years. Is there any time frame for when it will be done?
  8. jasonk1229

jasonk1229 Newcomer, in training Posts: 58

this will be good for handhelds
  9. jasonk1229

jasonk1229 Newcomer, in training Posts: 58

this will be good for handhelds
  10. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,390   +16

This is great news, definite fan of OpenGL :) .

Wolfenstein last year uses it but only for multiplayer if I'm not mistaken since it's a modified id Tech 4.

It's said to be late 2010, so I would expect a lot of info during E3. Doom 4 announcements are also expect but I think that'll be more during QuakeCon 2010, both are by the way launching the new id Tech 5 engine based on OpenGL & DX9.
  11. skitzo_zac

skitzo_zac TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 459

It's never a bad thing having open standards challenging closed proprietary standards.

But as far as I am aware the only major games that use OpenGL are those based on id Tech X engines, or Mac and Linux games.
  12. zyodei

zyodei Newcomer, in training Posts: 30

I think there would be a real opportunity for any company that could write software that would port D3D to OpenGL. D3D is just so damned limited in where it can run..that's a lot of revenue just sitting on the table for people who want to sell on Wii/PS/phones/etc.
  13. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 Newcomer, in training Posts: 145

OpenGL needs to be supported like in the good old days with Quake and CS 1.6!

14. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 Newcomer, in training Posts: 102

almost all games use D3D! so whats the use of openGL?
  15. ansarimikail

ansarimikail Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

Always good to have an open source competitor to proprietary software.
  16. Richy2k9

Richy2k9 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 515

hello ...

i would like to see that, need to check the net for more info & would be happy to get some video showing the differences.

cheers!
  17. Relic

Relic TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,390   +16

For anything that doesn't involve Microsoft. D3D is proprietary meaning only Microsoft controls it. Games on Linux, Macs or mobile platforms are more then likely OpenGL. Having an alternative that isn't controlled by one entity is important and the hopes that competition can spur more innovation :) .
  18. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 917   +26

A note for those thinking of mobile: this is currently not relevant for mobile. The mobile version of OpenGL is OpenGL ES, which is a different standard (i.e., has a different feature set). OpenGL 4 is meant for DX11 hardware.

That said, I do think that mobile might also push OpenGL on the desktop, because the API's are similar enough that mobile developers could move to the desktop. Plus Valve's move to Apple might push things somewhat in this direction.

The thing about OpenGL is that it adds features quite a bit of time after they're available on Direct3D, so for AAA developers who want to take advantage of the latest features, Direct3D is the obvious choice.
  19. EduardsN

EduardsN Newcomer, in training Posts: 56

Now we wait for DirectX 12
  20. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

Agreed. With no competition companies get lazy and there products suffer, and them we consumers get screwed.
  21. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 572   +37

I'm glad to see that OpenGL is finally starting to get back in the game... at least a little bit. I'm just curious to see how many supporters (hardware) there will be.
  22. gary4gar

gary4gar Newcomer, in training

After Release of new Specs, Hopefully GPU manufacturers should start implemented it as soon as they should
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.