TechSpot

Opinions? (Modest Gaming PC)

By Mechz
Aug 24, 2006
  1. I'll be buying a new PC,with the following specs,Im wanting to do some gaming (Counter Strike Source & Battlefield 2) Im not going for the latest and greatest though,Im just hoping to get some decent performance ,but this is the first PC Im getting with that goal in mind usually Im just a console gamer,so Id like your advice,since I havent done this before,maybe Im way off,thanks.

What do you think? Again Im going for something modest.Would change something? Should splurge a little more on a certain component? All opinions welcome,thanks.

p.s. I'll be purchasing optical drives seperate which is why theyre not listed

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,764

The lowest Id go for a video card would be a 7600GT, $180-200. Ive seen 7900GTs for under $250. Id also get a dedicated sound card. At least a Sound Blaster Live Digital, about $30.

3. Mechz

Mechz TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well heres what I get to pick from,Can you recommend something or do you think I could buy it cheaper if I shopped around purchased he card you recommended,seperate?

[​IMG]

4. agi_shi

agi_shi TS Rookie Posts: 507

Assuming you can choose any one of those in the picture, go with the 7900GT. It will wipe the floor with the other cards.

5. Mechz

thanks,yeah I didnt picture the rest because that would really be the cutoff point for me.

6. vegasgmc

Those prices are kind of high but you will get alot of mileage from a 7900GT. And it will work great with BF2.

7. Mechz

Yeah I'll shop around and find it cheaper,I think I can get it from best buy for around $235 after 30% coupon if its still in effect.

thanks for the help,appreciate it.

8. vegasgmc

Also check Newegg.com. They always have rebates on the 7900's.

9. Mechz

can I ask,what the advantage of a dedicated sound card would be?

10. vegasgmc

If you have onboard audio the CPU does most of the audio processing. In games that can lower your frame rates 10-15% because the CPU is having to handle audio and video processing. Most good sound cards have their own audio processor so the hit on the CPU is only 1-2%. Also onboard audio seems to cause alot more issues with gaming. This is prety good
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829102176

11. Mechz

Cool, thanks for the help ;)

12. Mechz

heh,since its looking more and more like I'll just buy all the parts seperate,can someone recommend a good motherboard that isnt too pricey,for use with the 7900GT card.

13. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

I wouldn't buy a 7900GT card, and then use it with a Celeron D processor. It will severely bottleneck it. If you can get a faster CPU (P4), it would perform way better.

If you can't, then you should get a 7600GT, or a X800GTO or XL.

14. Mechz

hey thanks for the advice.
    specificaly,which Pentium 4 do you think I should go with.

As it is,I was thinking about either a Pentium 4 3.2ghz or a pentium dual core 2.8ghz

but I dont mind splurging a little more on the processor to get better performance,if you can make a recommendation.

At the same time Im not looking to spend too much,and I only want something decent,so maybe downgrading the card would be better?

15. wolfram

I'd choose the single-core P4 3.2 GHZ, because most current games and apps, only use one core.

These days P4's have becomer very cheap, and it will surely be a huge boost over any Celeron D.

16. Mechz

Cool,thanks for the advice.I'll stick with a P4 3.2ghz and up. :)

17. wolfram

Good choice mate! :) Enjoy your P4 and your video card.

BTW, do you still want the 7900gt?

18. Mechz

Its the one I had my eye on,why do you ask.

19. wolfram

Nothing wrong :)

Enjoy them :)

20. Face of LA

Face of LA TS Rookie Posts: 186

Why Dont u get a Pentium D Dual Core 3.0GHZ Or 3.4GHZ??It makes the Pentium 4 an old fashion,
    But Like what Wolfram sed, Get a p4 Over a Celeron D.,

21. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

With intels recent price cuts on the Pentium D line, I would suggest pricing them out as well. Many games do not support Dual Core at the moment but they are starting to slowly.

22. Face of LA

JW^ does that mean i cant play games with Pentium D Dual Core? or what?

23. wolfram

Yes you can. But since most current games use only one core, a faster single core CPU will outperform dual-core ones. (unless you're talking about Core 2 duo's )

For example, you have a 2.8 GHZ Pentium D, and one 3.2 GHZ Pentium 4. Then you play any game that doesn't take advantage of your pentium D, and it will be slower than your Pentium 4 :)

24. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,851

No, you can play games just fine. What I mean by that is you are paying more for two cores. But most games today are only devloped with on "thread" Now if game devlopers were to make games with two "threads" the full advantage of the CPU could be harnessed. Now newer games like FEAR and Oblivion (IIRC) both support Dual core. Its just a all around good idea to invest in a dual core when buying a CPU in the current market. (In my opinon)

Hope this clears things up.

Sean

EDIT

I agree however.

Do remeber even if the game is not supporting multi cores, other aplications in the backround can still harness the extra core.

25. Face of LA

^ Now i got it, thanks for the Clear up Sean :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.