Opinions on new backup solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

ok4life

I am just wanting some opinions for hardware to do what I want to do.

What I have is a 2003 PDC and a 2000 Stand Alone Server along with 3 bridge computers (CC,phone,Internet Reservations) to be backed up Data totalling less than 120GB with projected growth. Currently we have Veritaz Backup Exec for Windows Servers V9.1 Backing up to Tape.

I am wanting to change to a NAS device to backup.
Could I backup to one that has hot swappable drive bays and rotate drives on it?

I am not familiar with NAS devices, but with my knowledge and what I have read I believe a USR 8700 could work
USA 8700

Configuring with a total of 4 drives 1 running ths os (I believe their variation of Linux) then use the 3 other drives as a backup partition using 1 at a time leaving 1 off site.

The only things that I have read is that the USR doesn't work with Active Directory, but unless I am sharring it through AD why should that matter currently veritaz could back up to a samba share if I wanted it to.

Pretty simple anybody think it will work or not, If I am wrong and it just won't work let me know LOL Or if you know of other NAs devices that will let me
knoe your thoughts

Thanks

That's a pretty good setup. Now, there is one potential issue. Supposing that the NAS device dies, would the drives and their contents be readable in some other system (a simple Linux PC)?

also issue with networking.

What if you loose the primary system; how do you restore without a
bootable system and then it still needs a valid network config?

A backup system should be usable in a standalone environment, eg:
a system that has no connections and only locally available hardware.

This allows for a total site demise and reconstruction at a new facility.

Nodsu said:
That's a pretty good setup. Now, there is one potential issue. Supposing that the NAS device dies, would the drives and their contents be readable in some other system (a simple Linux PC)?
That is a good point I need to check the supported file systems I think it would be an ext3 fs but I must add that to the check list

jobeard said:
also issue with networking.

What if you loose the primary system; how do you restore without a
bootable system and then it still needs a valid network config?

A backup system should be usable in a standalone environment, eg:
a system that has no connections and only locally available hardware.

This allows for a total site demise and reconstruction at a new facility.

good thoughtIn our paticular case we could restore and go to a limited access type situation with walmat pc's maily just 1 large pervasive sql database, but I should kepp an offsite copy of the veritaz. (I have the rest)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back