Opinions - What would you install on a clean machine (new) machine for security

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomulusJ

Okay, I'm hoping this is acceptable here its on topic (I hope). Also hope that this is not a repeat of a buried topic. Should this develop into a real discussion, I may edit this post to list the most liked and used products and why for others quick knowledge.

I am of the school, always learning always looking for better - and cheaper - solutions.

For Security against Malware and hackers this is what I typically suggest - and what I do on my own machine.

Browswer - Firefox. Hands down the best and it suffers so little from the malicious popup and malware that IE suffers from.

Anti Virus Program - Any reputible one is acceptable - its better then nothing. I've been leaning steadily to AVG Free but for symantec's flaws - and there are many - it does work if you use it and want a product name. As I said in my post about Adware LOP it was the one that reported I was infected and it was the one that kept reporting it. Though through a undocumented feature that has made me money (Namely a Firewall that clients don't know about call me and pay me to deal with)

Firewall - I admit I've been trusting my Routers, turning of Windows Firewall.
My router is a Linksys 300N (Serious overkill for my small space) but I feel its secure, and safe. No SSID Broadcast, 16bit WEP encyption, fire wall with only ports I use allowed to transmit and accept data. Though probally a bit looser then ideal. (Since my issue Zone Alarm has been installed)

Data Encyrtion - Zilch

Data removal - CCleaner NSA standard

Spyware and Adware Defense - Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, trail AVG Anti-spyware

Web Blocker for family computers - None on mine, Net Nanny installed on client who have had it.

I'm interested to see how this discussion goes and what people like and use.

RomJ
Fearing the backlash

Browswer - Firefox. Hands down the best and it suffers so little from the malicious popup and malware that IE suffers from.
Along with:
AdBlock Plus
No Script
McAfee Site Advisor
Fasterfox < Not security but it is good.

Anti Virus Program
Avast! On one computer.
AVG On the other.
Norton is a resource hog. I do not have a vast network I am trying to secure. If I did, then maybe....NOT!!!!!

It is really down to the user and which one they like best.
Windows Firewall is fine for me.

Spyware and Adware Defense
Spybot
SUPERAntiSpyware
AVG Antispyware FREE < Yes there is a free version. AVG Antispyware Free

SpywareBlaster On one computer.
Comodo BOClean On the other.

Web Blocker
Glubble (for firefox) [U][B]http://www.glubble.com/[/B][/U]
I don't use it but it is free.

========================

If things just don't feel right I will run an online virus scan.
TREND MICRO HouseCall < Now works with Firefox.

Data removal
CCleaner, Daily
Wise Disk and Reg Cleaner, Monthly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back