TechSpot

Optical Drive won't read, makes strange noises.

By evanwilson6
Jun 21, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an Alienware Sentia m3200. My optical drive is not working. If I insert a disc, I get the gruntish things every second or so, but the discs never show up. (See the wav file) If I was stingy on the info and specs, please ask for more info.

Any ideas?

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Try a new ide cable, if that doesn`t help, uninstall the drive from your device manager and reboot your computer. Windows will redetect the drive.

If it`s still no go, your drive may have died on you and a replacement may be necessary.

Regards Howard :)

3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

When your optical drive starts making weird noises and doesnt work, you might as well break out the butter, cause your drive is toast.

4. evanwilson6

evanwilson6 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

It works, oddly only with DVDs.

I tried Matrix in the drive. It plays. Now my Palm Desktop CD is a different story.

This is the Slimtype DVDRW SOS-W833S in a laptop. I'm afraid of firmware but I will update if necessary. I've also noticed that this model is very eratic in Acer laptops, however, this an Alienware and I haven't found any reports. Again, any ideas?

The noises are only with the CDs. DVDs are all fine. Even burning. I just burned the Vista DVD.

5. iss

Then the noises are probably rhe Cd laser assembly which has gone bad.

6. evanwilson6

I don't understand. So there are 2 lasers, one for the CD and one for the DVD?

7. iss

Yes DVDRW drives have two lasers, one for Cd and the other for DVD.

8. evanwilson6

Grrr.... Well, to get a replacement.

Thanks very much, I guess money will have to be shelled out.

Can I buy any optical drive with a 50 pin IDE that's left side fixed? Slim too, I assume.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.