Optical Drives from another realm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, heres the thing. I just upgraded my computer a week ago and added a new 200gb hard drive to my rig, but thats not the point. My 2 optical drives, one that can write DVDs and another that can only write normal CDs, the one that can write DVDs can still read DVDs and CDs but cant write at all, Nero wont detect it. On the other hand, the drive that can only write CDs has been infested by evil pixies, or thats just what my friend says, but anyways, it only writes, doesnt read anymore, it was able for a few days after i added the new harddrive tho. I place a CD in and it makes fizzy sounds like a normal optical drive does but not as loud as it used too. the computer acts as if nothing happened. when i click on the drive icon in my computer, it just opens up to an empty space. but whats funny is that it still actually writes....

here are my 2 or 3 questions:

1) I installed on the new hard drive i bought and have 2 OSes (both XP SP2) on my computer, i use only 1(on new 200gb drive) cuz the other one(on old drive) says its corrupted when i select it durin booting. Is this optical drive problem due to the hard drives?

2) Is it there something wrong with the mechanism on the "CD only" optical drives?

3) Is there a problem with the driver of firmware of the DVD optical drives?

additional info:
-DVDRW drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S
-CDRW drive: LITE-ON LTR-52327S
-Both OSes on both hard drives are WINXP SP2, one of them is corrupted
-Mobo is some intel mobo with a P4 HT 2.6ghz
-1.5gb of ddr ram
-i have alot of issues with my OS in the old hard drive....massive infestation of adware and trojans... dont know if they came to the new hard drive too
-I use a Zboard, but that probably doesnt matter
-Already tried uninstallin the optical drives and allowing windows to redetect them

if anymore info is needed pls ask, any help will be greatly appreciated.

try ininstalling the IDe channel the optical drives are on and rebooting. windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the drives on boot up. I would aslo do something about the corrupted drive. either reformatting it. or disconnecting it.

so i disconnect the IDE channel from the mobo and reboot the computer, shut it down, reconnect the IDE channel and power ir up again right?

NO...You dont physically disconnect anything, you UNINSTALL the IDe channel in device manager. it will be under "IDE ATA\ATAPI Controllers"

Uninstalling...

You could also try to remove the drives from Windows and leave the Channel alone...then the OS will have to reinitialize them and maybe they will be ok.
...or, the better: go to System>Hardware>Device Manager and:
1. Uninstall your optical drives from DVD/CD-ROM drives
2.Uninstall the IDE channel they are connected to, I suppose they are on the secondary one; to do this, you go to IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers>Secondary IDE Channel
3. Reboot while you pray this helps...

Let us know if you solved the problem and...good luck!

If you changed the internal cabling - you should check the jumpers. One master and one slave on a cable... or use cable select.

well, ive managed to get the DVD drive writin DVDs again, the problems was just with nero, i tried some other writing program and it worked. The CDRW drive still cant read tho, ive tried uninstalling the drive and IDE channel from device manager, rebooted my computer, and that didnt work.

when i was upgrading my computer, i didnt mess round with the cabling for the optical drives at all. I just added a hard drive.

Then the drive might be bad. It happens. Replacements are relatively inexpensive.

oh well, at this point thats probably the only logical thing to do. Thanks for all of ur help guys, much appriciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back