Orange flashing power light

Status
Not open for further replies.

metzy85

i have dell demension 3000. i have tried the dell forums and they move so slow.
i jsut bought a ati x1550 pci video card and a 450 watt rosewell power supply. and when i try and turn the computer on in place of the power light there is a orange flashing light and the forums guy say it is a power supply faliure how could it be jsut got it. the motherbaord has the green light lit up so its fine idk wut is wrong though so werid any other suggestions

Have you the option of re-installing the original powersupply to test (if still working)
Also confirm all powersupply and m/b connectors are securely plugged in

sry i think i posted this in the wron section did not do my reading. anyways ahhh i am on it right now it is werid goes off randomly. then after re connecting it works again.

my specs are. i have 2x80gb hard drives and 2 cd drives ones a burner and then i have ati x1550 and the 450 watt rosewell power supply and then p4 2.8 ghz and 2x512 patriot ram

idk wut could be failing???

I would temporarily detach the CD and second Hard Drive from the m/b and test again
Did you still have the original power supply - Unanswered

yes i do but i am unable to test with the video card in. the video card said it required 420 watts. i got 450watt. and running the comp right now the second drive is disconected. so should i try old power supply run it under little load and see if i have same issue?

metzy85 said:
and running the comp right now
So the computer is working ?

Anyway, to answer your question yes you can try the older PSU without your new video card. Just to confirm your computer is OK (ie starts to Windows)

windows is fine i am on the computer right nwo the one that we are speaking off. wut i want to know is y it would randomly turn off. and then when i try to tunr it on it does the werid amber light

OK
is this the same problem with the ati x1550 pci video out

This fault can point to an overheating problem in your computer
Please confirm all fans are working and connections are secure
Also remove all internal dust if possible clean out the fans

ok like i clicked to look at ur post the comp jsut turned off and like the power light is blinking green if it was like in stand bye and it will not turn back on.

no problems with video out cause picture is fine and no dust the side cover is off when i run it and the fans are coming on all of them. and dust i hate dirty comps . the problem so werid

kimsland said:
OK
is this the same problem with the ati x1550 pci video out

Maybe you should test with the above quote of mine

And then test again with older power supply (video card out too)

yeah it is. tried that before this is the 4th time it has done it except this time it tunred right back on and it working. ok i will try the other power supply

Just to be clear (your English is a tad hard - but still understandable :)
With the video card out -the same problem happens

yeah sry try to clean it up a bit. yes i have old power supply in (without the vid card) and i am gonna run the comp all night with virus scan to give it something todo and see if it goes off. could the video card be causeing it to shut off??

Yes if faulty (ie overheating issue)

As for all night - well maybe you should check at intervals
Also turn off the Internet and screen saver
You may want to check Scheduled Tasks in Control Panel too

no it was fine. stayed on all night. so either the power supply or the video card is causeing the issue. But how can i tell which one?

ok. i will i still don't think its over heating. y would a computer overheat when the side case is off its in a cold dry basement in the middle of winter and there is sufficiant air flow. everything that could heat up has a fan

ok i guess my question is. if it happens again with the card in wut the heck should i return to newegg the card or the power supply. wut is at fualt hear

We are presently testing with
Old Power Supply
And New Video Card

I Hope

If it faults this time it is the video card

But we still must test, with new Power Supply and onboard video to fully confirm

I hope you are writing all the test results down !

dude i can't run the old power supply and the new vid card there is no way. not enough power. won't that hurt something

I see your point

At this stage I would stop
Put the new power supply back in
Leave the new video card out

And then go about returning the video card
We have confirmed about 80% physical video card faulty

ok. i am gonna try couple more thing just to make sure. thanks for ur help. this is my new favorite forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back