Others can't join when I host Warcraft 3 game on BNet

Jay123

Hello Everyone

I have a speed touch 516 V6 box and even when my firewall is off other people still cannot join my warcraft 3 frozen throne game. What do I need to do to fix this.

Sorry if this is not the correct form for this queswtion but I am not sure which one is

Thank you.

Jay123, yeah, I have the same problem. My firewall had holes poked for the appropriate ports according to battle.net instructions but I still could not host either.

I'm told that I am needing to have port forwarding because custom maps are hosted by the battle.net servers and not locally by the map creator. I had trouble logging into my own modem to make the changes which is why I'm still out of luck, but others have indicated that successfully logging in to the router/modem and changing port forwarding should fix the problem; hope it works.

Fean77 has the right concepts

1) the system hosting *must*
  • have a static ip address on the lan (*to allow port fowarding to be effective*)
  • must have the firewall config to ALLOW the correct ports
2) then the router needs to port foward the (b) items to the correct ip address in (a)

Will the static IP address likely be effective even if my ISP assigns me a dynamic IP address?

Also @Jay123, I apologize for kind of hijacking your thread here, but I am also interested in learning about this same problem you have.

Fean77 has the right concepts

1) the system hosting *must*
have a static ip address on the lan (*to allow port fowarding to be effective*)
must have the firewall config to ALLOW the correct ports
2) then the router needs to port foward the (b) items to the correct ip address in (a)
Specifically for warcraft 3 you need to open ports 6112 - 6119 for both TCP and UDP.
Thats it no static IP required I think.

Will the static IP address likely be effective even if my ISP assigns me a dynamic IP address?
I have no idea what your talking about, you either have static or dynamic; probably dynamic.

for the network topology (ie wiring) like this
Code:
modem---(wan)router(lan)---lan.systems
the ISP controls the ip address given to the WAN side and your lan.systems get addresses from your router setup.

1) the WAN address will be dynamic unless you purchase a domain name and the ISP elects to support you with that address

2) for your gaming setup, YOU decide which system has a static lan address so that the router can correctly perform the port forwarding you elect to use.

THEN, if you use something like DynDNS, your other players can find you even though the ISP changes your public WAN-side address

Back