TechSpot

Outlook 2003 pst file

By lyam77
Feb 5, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,
    I am using Outlook 2003. The path by default for the pst file is C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I would like to change it so that instead my pst file is on another partition.

Is it possible? If so how?

Thanks in advanced :wave:
  2. cbunes

cbunes TS Rookie

Moving the .pst file

This works on Outlook XP, but should probably work well with 2003 too...

This method is actually described in Outlook, when you go into 'Options', select the 'Mail Setup' tab, and click on the 'Data Files...'-button, it says (in XP at least) 'You must shutdown Outlook to move or copy these files.'

So, in order to move your .pst file: Close Outlook, move your Outlook folder to the desired folder/partition and reopen Outlook. It should tell you it cannot fint the outlook.pst file and gives you an opportunity to locate where you put it.

Easy as that... (Can't believe MS haven't made it easier to move the .pst file... oh well. nevermind)

Hope this helps.

After you have located where you have moved to .pst file to, Outlook will state it still cannot find the file, so that it cannot be started. This is normal. All you have to do is to click 'ok' and start Outlook once more. It should then start normally.

Advanced thanks appreciated :D
  3. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Or to simply create a new one, go to File/New/Outlook Data File and follow the prompts....gives you the ability to create and name whereever you'd like.
  4. lyam77

lyam77 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

WOW! Thanks its working! Didn't realise it was so simple.I was doing it right, but after I was getting the error message I stopped.Thanks for you help.
  5. cbunes

cbunes TS Rookie

No problem :)

Glad to be of help. :)
  6. MinorThreat

MinorThreat TS Rookie

oppsy

Hi. I mistakenly deleted my Outlook.pst file and now it won't open. I read the above, and can't even get to a point to create a new one. What can I do?

Thanks

MT
  7. cbunes

cbunes TS Rookie

You what? Deleted your .pst file, and now MSO won't open at all?
  8. MinorThreat

MinorThreat TS Rookie

yes, thats what I did. I needed to get up and running so I just went ahead and did a complete system reinstall. Just reinstalling Office 2003 didn't work.

So I'm fine now, but I find it unusual that I couldn't replace that file from the disk or even open Outlook.

Thanks anyway.

MT
  9. cbunes

cbunes TS Rookie

Not much I did, but no problem :) You really must have been desperate to get Office up & running again... hehe. Glad to hear you got it sorted in the end.
  10. nimd4

nimd4 TS Rookie

Check out the Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders Backup tool also:

Code:
    office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010875321033.aspx
    English (US) edition direct download:
    Code:
    download.microsoft.com/download/e/0/f/e0f1a42b-e4bd-4306-a3d4-78ff9d2b22ca/pfbackup.exe
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.