Outlook 2007 major lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpcoleman7

Hey guys,

I'm trying to help someone else improve their Outlook 2007 performance. He has been having a super laggy Office Outlook 2007 starting sometime early last week.

Every time he tries to create a new e-mail it'll take several seconds for the New E-mail window to completely load; scrolling through his e-mail has become very choppy; and sending e-mails has become nearly impossible [he sent me a test e-mail yesterday around 5 and i didnt get it til 8].

He had over a 4GB .pst file which i decided was too big so i archived some of his e-mails yesterday morning. After i archived some of his e-mails [i'm not exactly sure how many, i just archived before May 1st, 2008] he seemed to notice a great performance boost. I thought the issue was resolved and i told him to keep his mail trimmed down and to delete the stuff he really doesn't need.

In the afternoon around 430 he IMs me telling me the problem is back.

any ideas?

rpcoleman7 said:
He had over a 4GB .pst file which i decided was too big so i archived some of his e-mails yesterday morning
You're on the right track -- Prune the SENT, Inbox, and any subfolders.
If the user has been using the Calendar, prune all data more than a year old.
Turn on Archive Old Data for Email and Calendar.

Outlook users frequently run into the 2gb limit and think that increasing the max file
size is "a fix" -- imo, it's a nightmare and scrolling, updating, inserting and deleting
data in a file of that size is just begging for issuse like this.

I compacted the folder prior to, and upon completing the archive process so i think that should be good. ahh the sent folder... completely forgot about that.. as well as his calendar. And i'll compact the folders again after i prune those down.

Alright i'll take care of it, and i'll post the results promptly after. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back