Outlook 2010 no longer sending and receiving emails

bazz2004

I had an email today from Microsoft via the W10 Mail app welcoming me to my new Outlook.com mobile experience. Now I am unable to use Outlook 2010 (part of Office) for emails. It just gives errors about not being able to connect to the server and unable to synchronize folders. The wife has a Gmail address and her use of Outlook 2010 is not effected. I saw that Microsoft are making changes to their servers but I'm baffled that Outlook 2010 is no longer working with my Hotmail account. I can connect to my account via my browser and all looks OK. Anybody able to explain why this is going on and what to do about it in layman's terms ?

Could be a recent update to your antivirus that's causing this. Was it updated recently? I had a similar experience w/ Avast a while back. It was blocking connection to the mail server when I checked email via Thunderbird. Found a work-around on Avast's forum. The subsequent update resolved the issue.

It has been years, but I think w/ the antivirus disabled, email worked. Try disabling your antivirus temporarily so it doesn't scan incoming emails. If it works, then the antivirus is the culprit.

Thanks, I turned off Bitdefender Free but it hasn't made any difference. The AV just runs very quietly and so far hasn't given me any issues or pestered me to upgrade.

Thankfully it's sorted now. I fought the panic instincts to reformat my hard disk or reinstall Office 2010. I opened Outlook 2010, File, Account Information. I found my hotmail acount and removed it, then set it up again with the same information. When I restarted Outlook it told me it was loading Profile. There were requests that I allow a website to configure the server settings and all my emails were slowly imported. Today's emails have come through without any problems. The change of servers by Microsoft must be the reason.

It was annoying and others are going to have a similar problem as Microsoft set up their new servers round the world. I spent hours trying to find out how to get things working again. More information from Microsoft should be included in their email to those enjoying the Outlook.com mobile experience - whatever that may be.

Back