Outlook.com problem with contacts

jsmileb

In an effort to make my email more friendly and portable, I set up an Outlook.com account. I followed the instructions to migrate my contacts via a .csv file. When I go to the "People" tile in Outlook.com, all the contacts are there, but when I try to use the "To" button to start composing a new email, it does not have the contacts listed. Any insight on what might be going on?

From what program/service did you export your contacts? I just tried it w/ Gmail. I randomly selected couple names and exported them as a csv file for Outlook. Then from Outlook.com, I imported the file. The names showed up in People, and when I began typing in the To box, the name of the contact appeared. The normal behavior.

Then I randomly selected couple other names in Gmail, but this time exported them as a csv for Gmail. I was able to import this file in Outlook.com. The names showed up in People but no other info got imported. No email addresses and no phone numbers. And typing these names into the To box didn't bring up anything. Information was in the csv file, but the fields are arranged differently between the two files.

Perhaps this is what's causing your problem. See if you can export a csv file compatible w/ Outlook.

Back