TechSpot

Outlook mailing self-generated, unapproved messages - what's happening???

By blvtzpk
Nov 20, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi all,

In the past week, my Outlook 2003 has begun to (occasionally) send messages to random addresses from my inbox. Tonight at 6.05PM it decided to generate and send 6 separate messages, all telling the recipients information about their subscription to a mailing list I supposedly run. I run no mailing list and have no idea why these messages are being generated and sent out.

A sample of one can be seen below. The address in the salutation I've asterixed out is the person to whom the email was sent, and the address in the "To get help" line is my own.

Any ideas?

------

Subject: Request processing error - Code for subscribe confirmation is wrong

Dear **@***.***.** [**@***.***.**]!

While processing your request: Fwd: Re:please confirm this email,
    the following error occurred: Code for subscribe confirmation is wrong

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To get help, click the following link: mailto:****@*****.*****.**.**?subject=help, or send a message to ****@*****.*****.**.**, with "help" in the Subject field.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mailing List Administrator
    mailto:****@*****.*****.**.**

2. gary_hendricks

gary_hendricks TS Rookie Posts: 138

Run an anti-virus program and check your PC straight away.

3. IronDuke

IronDuke TS Rookie Posts: 1,267

4. blvtzpk

blvtzpk TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Hi,

I have run my anti-virus over it (Norton) and the same package (NIS) has a firewall. However, I'll try the Sygate firewall and see if that works.

5. IronDuke

I didn't think you were running a firewall. It's not a good idea to run two.

6. blvtzpk

I just checked my Norton Internet Security and the firewall was on. What I was planning to do was use the Sygate firewall isntead of Norton's - see if that works.

7. IronDuke

No problem if only one is running.

8. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Well, I just made the leap. I have been a devoted NORTON user for many years, but after reading all the problems people have been having in this forum (even though I have never had a problem), I decided to take precautions and dump norton.

Installed AVG antivirus this morning.

Anyways blvtzpk, try running this one: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ just to rule out that Norton isn't missing something. What you describe sounds like a virus.

9. blvtzpk

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.