Overclocking any good with an athlon 64 x2 dual core 3800+ 2.00GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ollie30001

Helo,

Anyone one know if an Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+ 2.00Ghz Socket AM2
That is in a:
MSI K9A Platinum Crossfire ddr2 motherboard

is worth overclocking? i checked in my BIOS and i am able to overlock from there, i also got some software that came with the motherboard that will let me overclock it but im guessing its best to do it within the bios?

oh and i am using the stock HSF whick i no will limit my overclocking for now till i get a new one, but still any help suggestions tips ect will be great.

thanks

if you are going to overclock, you should have decent ram that supports it. oc'ing is very dependent upon your ram. go here http://www.techpowerup.com/systool/ and download systool. this will let you fool around with your settings little by little in windows, so if you mess soemthing up, you will still be able top restart your system. as for whehter it's worth it? sure. i oc my athlon x2 4400 + all the time, although it doesnt oc as much as an opteron or fx chip. good luck!

dopefisher said:
if you are going to overclock, you should have decent ram that supports it. oc'ing is very dependent upon your ram.
Most mainboards that have overclocking features have also options for setting memory speed slower than FSB.

I do that with my Opteron, overclocked FSB from 200 to 300 MHz, but set my generic DDR400 CAS3 memory as DDR266, so that when overclocked it still works at DDR400 speed.

hmm thats news to me. so my ram is running at ddr466 right now, and my fsb is 400. what should i do for bes performance? lol i know vague question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back