Overclocking Dell parts in new case?

Okay so I have a dell xps 420, don't really want to replace much besides my gfx card, bump up from 4gbs to 8gbs of ram and obviously up my psu wattage to handle to upgrades. I don't want to replace my quad core q6600 cpu yet but I do want to overclock to about 3.0ghz. Obviously you can't overclock the cpu, or any part for that matter, in dells without physically altering the chip because of the bios limitations. My question is, when I transfer these parts into a new case with a new mobo, will I then be able to overclock the cpu?

Putting the computer in a new case will not make a difference, but changing the motherboard will let you overclock. Before you do any overclocking, make sure you have a decent CPU cooler. The stock one probably will not be able to handle much of an overclock.

Just keep your RAM...it won't help much.
I'm not sure why you think putting it in a new case would help you overclock, but that's not true.

Dell doesn't make the CPU which you have, so it can't control what you do to it when you put it into the new motherboard. You should be able to overclock to 3.0 GHz fine.

However, like Technochicken said, you definitely want a good CPU cooler. The most 'fanned up' case would still not be able to bring the sorts of temperature decreases a good CPU cooler can get you.

It's not that I think I need a new case to over clock, I'm aware it has no bearing on it. However, anyone that made the mistake of buying a dell and later wanted to upgrade/overclock quickly find out that dell's use BTX form factor motherboards, it would be much easier to just buy a new case bc it's much easier finding a compatible atx motherboard. Do any of you have any recommendations for motherboards? I was looking at the Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Desktop Motherboard ---I would post a link but I don't have enough posts to attach links yet.

Also as you mentioned a cooling system when overclocking my q6600 processor, any recommendations on that as well?

Every time someone asks me to recommend a CPU cooler, I always reply, without considering any of the competitors, with 'Noctua', which makes me sort of sheepish about saying it again. But yeah. Noctua heatsinks are pretty good.

BTW, as far as I know, any motherboard that can overclock at all would be able to take a Q6600 to 3.0GHz, so your motherboard should be fine.

And I should be able to stay at a stable temp with the heat sink? At what OC do you think I'd have to start looking into liquid cooling?

And I should be able to stay at a stable temp with the heat sink?
That's the most vague questions I've seen all week. "Noctua" is not a heatsink either.
without considering any of the competitors, with 'Noctua'
I'll reply by complaining that noctua coolers are expensive.
At what OC do you think I'd have to start looking into liquid cooling?
Firstly, that'll depend on your processor and motherboard. Depending on the motherboard that you choose (which I don't see mentioned here), you might not reach that point anyway. Secondly, that's going to depend on the specific air and liquid coolers, as they do overlap performance wise.

The CPU is an intel q6600 @ 2.4GHz and I'm looking to at least OC it to at least 3.0 GHz or as high as I can OC it while keeping it stable with a heat sink. Which heat sink I will I be using? I don't know, which is why I asked for recommendations. Don't want anything outrageously expensive but I'm not looking to be stingy either as I don't feel like frying my cpu, a mid-range heat sink. The mobo I have now doesn't matter as I can't overclock with it bc all of dells' BIOS are locked.

As far as what mobo I will be buying, as of now I've been leaning towards the Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Desktop Motherboard as I previously stated. Unless someone recommends another board they believe I'd be better off getting.

My Q6600 (G0 stepping) was absolutely fine at stock speeds. Considering the age of them nowadays I'd recommend against overclocking anyway, as all your doing is reducing the life of an already aged CPU.

If you prepared to spend all this money do yourself a favour and just move to a newer chipset.

My Q6600 (G0 stepping) was absolutely fine at stock speeds. Considering the age of them nowadays I'd recommend against overclocking anyway, as all your doing is reducing the life of an already aged CPU.

If you prepared to spend all this money do yourself a favour and just move to a newer chipset.
I would tend to agree...save up for a new computer.

That motherboard is fine though, if you choose that route.
It's lucky I said "Noctua heatsinks" then, isn't it?
I was talking to the OP, who seemed to think that Noctua was an actual heatsink. IMO they're not fit for this application, it's too much to invest into an aging system, and not at all necessary for a minor(ish) overclock.

Yea, building a completely new computer is what I'm looking to do. I'm just trying to squeeze the last bit out of some of my parts so I can just upgrade piece by piece instead of doing a complete system overhaul and spending a chunk of money upfront at once. In the long run I'm prob spending more but I guess it's more of a psychological thing

Most of this is just so I can run a new game coming out (battlefield 3) and my cpu can still run it as is at 2.4 GHz, I just need to replace my gpu and psu..but knowing I can get a bit higher performance with an overclock, I'm tempted even though it's not necessary. Plus who doesn't like more power :grinthumb

Thank you for all your replies, I appreciate it.

Yea, building a completely new computer is what I'm looking to do. I'm just trying to squeeze the last bit out of some of my parts so I can just upgrade piece by piece instead of doing a complete system overhaul and spending a chunk of money upfront at once. In the long run I'm prob spending more but I guess it's more of a psychological thing

Having done that for many years, and now been burnt umpteen times with bad components I've not been able to test I'm now the opposite. Once I get my new system going I'll be ordering everything at once for then onwards. :haha:

Back