Overclocking questions and suggestion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eichenkatze

First off... the system information...

Mobo: Asus PTGD1-LA
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 dual core 3.8Ghz

Alright. So i finally broke down and decided to check into this computer's Bios and see if i can't get an overclock going for the computer. Besides, who could resist bumping it up to 4.0Ghz right?
Well anyways right off the bat i've run into my first problem!
1) When i boot up the computer and hit "Del" as directed by the manufacture's manual the computer gives me a boot screen with something to the lines of.. 'We apologize for the inconvenience however Windows failed to start... etc etc" and gives me the options of safe mode(s), Debug mode, and Start windows normally. O..kay?
2) Second problem... I find out the boot key for bios is actuall F1. So rebooting i get into the Bios menu and have all of the computer's information at the tips of my computer.. i scroll through the main, advanced, power, and exit tabs (think there was one more.. but it definantly wasn't what i was looking for.) Anyways, the only area i can find that has processor information is untouchable. You can't edit it and the surrounding options are for such things as "Onboard sound" and "Onboard video" but nothing to frequency and the likes for my processor... ookay?

So... am i in the wrong screen? Because last time i Overclocked a computer.. it looked JUST like this screen... but had a section for frequency..
Is my motherboard locked... or am i just crazy?

Secondly.. suggestion?;

Last time i overclocked i was working on a system with water cooling... i really didn't have to worry too much about keeping the system cool while we bumped up ath Ghz from 2.3-3.0 on an AMD chipset.
However, this is my personal computer and i'm not rich... far from it.. so any suggestion on CPU heatsink replacements for the listed CPU? I've looked around for some but haven't really seen anything that sticks out..
I don't feel too safe with the current fan in there.. its stock and can't be all that extraordinary.

Thanks.

-Eichenkatze

Nothing wrong with a stock fan. Sometimes they wear out more quickly, but you should still get two or three years life out of it. No reason to feel unsafe if you have thermal past appropriately installed and you don't have any bearing noise or clicks.
As for the overclocking, each motherboard is different, and must be treated as such. Asus has overclocking details available on its website for that board, does it not?

Oh, the "origional" manufact. manual says its open to overclocking no problem! However, what makes me wonder is about a year ago i had the computer sent in to have the HD replaced as it had failed horribly. The crew that worked on my computer told me that some things wouldn't be like they were before the replacement but didn't really say what. In addition, since then my mobo has always been a little.... funky. Could something have changed to ultimately shut out the option of overclocking?

Anything could happen if you had your hard drive worked on at a shop, and not at ASUS for the PTGD1-LA, anything is possible... because there are more bad repair shops than good ones.
But generally, there is no reason for a change if you still have the same model of motherboard.

I really don't trust computer techs in computer shops. No offense to anyone who works as one, but I've heard my fair share of stories of people getting ripped. High end components swapped for cheap ones and so on. I haven't really tested anyone, but sometimes I feel like walking in, depositing a machine, pretending to be someone who knows nothing, and then checking to see if everything's as it is....

I'm just saying that there might be the chance that your motherboard got swapped out. Very small chance, but still there nonetheless.

Try that BIOS update. I suggest reading the manual, sometimes you'll have to press a function key to get overclocking menus out.

I didn't even think to update the BIOS to see if it all comes back. I'll try that later this evening when i get home and let you know if it works.

As for the anything could happen in the repair shop.
True.
Now a days i do all the repairs by myself, but back then it was the first hard drive i'd had just fry on me with no hope of reviving or fixing it easily. So in a panic i took it up to the local repair shop and was charged 60.00 to replace the HD.
Swapping out my Mobo? I'd hope not. They did leave me the processor however, so i can't complain TOO bad... except that the Mobo thats in there now is so horribly arranged i can't fit a X1800 or higher into the PCI-E slot as it runs right over the connector for the mobo-power supply. GO FIGURE!

I'm thinking about replacing the mobo anyhow.. just not sure which one to get (suggestions for a good one?)

I'll scan through the manual again to see if there is an option, but the manual i was given on the computer's purchase is pretty limited. The computer wasn't all that spectacular anyways aside from the processor.. now though.. its alot better as i've updated and replaced nearly everything lol.

Thank you!

Take a look at this mobo, comes very highly recommended. Would only work for you if you have DDR2 memory though.

Btw - a new Core2Duo will own your pentium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back