Not open for further replies.

Fusion

OK, Got my new pc saturday 19th. Booted up everything is fine. The spec is:
AMD athlon XP 2600+ (2.08GHz)
1024 Samsung DDR pc3200 @ 166mhz
ASROCK K7 Upgrade-880
NVIDIA Geforce 5900XT 128mb
160GB Maxtor HDD 7000RPM

Okay, i decided to install MBM5 and Sisoftware Sandra lite to check temps as i new AMD ahtlon were hot running procesors. At the moment the ambient temp is 60 degrees (yes celcius), and can get to 67 degrees under stress (the bios reads the same). I found this out when playing HL2. I have a cheap AKASA HSF, and intake fan at the front and exhaust at the rear. For me these temps are too high, my system is set to shutdown at 75, and thats too close for me. Although AMD say upto 85 is ok, thats next to meltdown!

Im going to install another exhaust fan, a new heatsink (any suggestions on which one? im thinking the coolermaster aero 7), and some pci fans.

One thing though, i heard if a CPU core temp is around 60-70, when you touch the heatsink it should be hot and only be able to touch it for around a second. However mine is only warm, and i can keep my finger on it. Does this indicate sensor failure on the MOBO?

Please help some, im panicking!

Regards,
FuSIon

PS the new heatsink will have to be Socket A / 462

The temps are too high. What's your room temp?

Put the computer in an open area.

Update the mobo bios.

"coolermaster aero 7" - Do not ever get that. Unless you like hearing a jet fighter flying around you. A much better HSF would be Thermalright and Zalman.

My computer is in an open area in my room, room temp is low twenties as i keep the window open. I will update the bios now, but its brand new MOBO. Will let you know what happens.

Noise doesnt bother me, and i dont know whether the zalmans and thermalrights will fit my MOBO. I just need something better than a AKASA! lol. I cant use the zalman flower because the fan has to screw into pci slots, and mine are clamped not screwed. I was considering the Zalman CNPS7000B-CU, anyone know if its compatible with my MOBO?

If you have anymore ideas, please let me know. And any ideas on HSF's.
Your help is appreciated!

FuSion

Fusion said:
I was considering the Zalman CNPS7000B-CU, anyone know if its compatible with my MOBO?

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/7000(AB)_462MBlist_eng.htm
(1) Compatible if there is no motherboard component higher than 15mm in height (usually capacitors) where the clip is to be located (If interference occurs, the excess portion of the clip that interferes can be cut off to make it compatible.)

(2) Compatible if there are four heatsink mounting holes around the socket.

(3) Compatible if there is no component with a height of 39mm or higher in the 55mm radius of the center of the CPU (e.g. power supply, graphics card, RAM, etc.)

From a small picture I saw in ASRock's site, your board doesn't appear to have heatsink mounting holes around the socket.

Im gonna go with the aero 7 or the aero 7 lite. Which is best in your opinions?

i know copper conducts better, but the aluminium (lite) seems to give better temps.

FuSion

OK, ive put in a pci fan card, used arctic silver 5 thermal paste, and using the aero 7 lite cooler.

With the fans on full i stil have a cpu temp of 50 degrees idle. This has to mean its faulty sensors doesnt it????

I cant think what else to do?!

PLease help!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back