Overwatch 2 will replace Overwatch when it launches in October

Daniel Sims

Staff
What just happened? Since Blizzard unveiled Overwatch 2 three years ago, some wondered how the developer planned to connect the two games to avoid bifurcating the player base. Now we know there will only be one Overwatch.

In a Reddit AMA this week, Overwatch 2 director Aaron Keller confirmed that Blizzard's upcoming free-to-play multiplayer sequel will replace its predecessor upon its October 4 Early Access launch. The original plan was to share content between the two.

When Blizzard announced Overwatch 2 in 2019, it said Overwatch 1 players would have access to all the follow-up's new heroes and maps, that they would keep everything they earned upon upgrading to the new game, and that owners of both games could play together to maintain one big community. The company has since decided to keep everybody together by simply transitioning all players into Overwatch 2.

When Blizzard unveiled the release date earlier this month, it revealed that Overwatch 2's multiplayer will be free-to-play for everyone.

Echoing other games that went from premium to freemium, Overwatch 1 owners will get a founder's pack containing skins, an icon, and a gift that will remain a surprise until October. Blizzard will follow the launch with new content including heroes, maps, and battle passes every nine weeks. Other planned features, like the co-op PvE mode, will arrive next year.

Permalink to story.

Replacing a game with such drastic changes like going from 6v6 to 5v5 is a crazy idea. Many people still enjoy the first one and I think many including me actually wished the game to remain as it was when it released, which doesn't exist either anymore. Another case of the phenomenon of reckless updates ruining games.

I don't play it nor plan on it but I can see why they decided to not add stuff from the new one to the old and just replace it instead. In with the new out with the old.

OW 2 is just a big patch for OW and it would be insane to have both of these games separate. They called it OW 2 just to make it look like it's a new game to get some hype around it.

Replacing a game with such drastic changes like going from 6v6 to 5v5 is a crazy idea. Many people still enjoy the first one and I think many including me actually wished the game to remain as it was when it released, which doesn't exist either anymore. Another case of the phenomenon of reckless updates ruining games.
Not that "many" still enjoyed OW1 :)

I still play OW1 but looking forward to OW2. It's been over 6 years since OW1 release. Time for an update and some changes.

Back