pages don't display

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejames82

i have a compaq presario with windows xp. i use kaspersky AV, spy sweeper, zone alarm personal, and road runner high speed cable.
why do i see "this page cannot be displayed" approximately 300 times a day. any ideas? thanks,
Ed James

Do you always get the message when trying sites that have failed before or does it seem more random?

it seems to be random. i just got one while attempting to reply. one night it was so bad that i called road runner. it was all i could get. they tested the modem and said it had an inconsistent outgoing system. they sent a tech who said he made an adjustment at the box outside. i am lucky that it only happens about 40% of the time now. i had to retype this reply on the account of it.

ejames82 said:
why do i see "this page cannot be displayed" approximately 300 times a day. any ideas? thanks, Ed James
first find your DNS Server address from ipconfig /all
then use ping -n 1000 $DNS Server

you should see something like
Packets: Sent = 5, Received = 5, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 74ms, Maximum = 86ms, Average = 79ms
the issue will be the Loss = x (y%)

if your browser makes a request to your DNS which gets lost or times out,
then you will see something like the symptom you report -- others might be
Page Not Found

joe,
although intrigueing, it doesn't help me. i assume that i am supposed to type ipconfig/all in the run command, which gives me the red X. if i just ok in ipconfig, i get a black box similar to the run>checkdisk box, but it quickly disappears. i need more info. thanks, Ed James

the link cmd /k ipconfig /all does get a dialog box with info. nothing about packets, approximate round trip, or milli-seconds are mentioned anywhere in the wording. i was unable to copy and paste, so i could show you. i tried to get to you all the info that was there, but i got another "this page cannot be displayed" message, and when i went back all the info was gone. it took me a half hour to type.

i have pinged google and there is 0% loss. if you are still with me, i am ready for further instruction or more ideas.

on your browser, use Tools, Options and Empty the cache
delete all Temporary Files (on IE) and then Exit

relaunch and try your site(s) again

jobeard: i delete cookies, temp files, and history religiosly everyday.
sharkfood: i dont know if i have checked my event logs. how can i find this out?
thanks, Ed James

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back