Paid Hulu subscriptions doubled to four million this past year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Hulu recently announced they have doubled the number of paid subscribers over the course of the last year despite the fact that founding chief executive Jason Kilar stepped down last month. Reaching four million paid subscribers is a noteworthy milestone even as Hulu’s two major owners, News Corporation and Walt Disney Company, contemplate selling the venture.

The announcement came during the Digital Content NewsFronts event for advertisers earlier today in New York. Hulu used their time to showcase some upcoming original series set to premiere this year. The company, along with rivals Amazon and Netflix, are investing heavily in the idea that original content will be a major selling point moving forward.

hulu paid streaming media paid subscriptions

Hulu is banking on several new shows like “The Awesomes,” an animated series about superheroes from the producer of “Late Night With Jimmy Fallon” and those associated with “Saturday Night Live.” “Quick Draw,” a comedic Western set in Kansas around 1870, is another of the third wave of original shows for Hulu.

Even with the success of original content, the most popular shows are still those that are licensed from other media companies. Hulu noted they work with more than 470 partners and have more than 70,000 television episodes available collectively across free and paid memberships.

That may change over time, however, as licensing fees are on the rise and more competitors crowd the marketplace. Just last week, Yahoo secured exclusive licensing rights to old episodes of Saturday Night Live – content that Hulu used to offer.

Permalink to story.

I love Hulu Plus. I don't watch their original content (some of it is too Leftish for me) but the foreign programming including anime, next day showing of regular broadcasts and access to documentaries makes it a winner in my book.

I only use three services religiously: Hulu Plus, Netflix and Amazon Instant Video. The first two have top notch anime selections and NetFlix is doing a good job of getting blockbuster movies much quicker than when they will appear on cable. I'm a happy camper with all three.

What I mean IAMTHESTIG in my bad but easy to understand english is if you pirate everything you see since you don't pay for notting?

I don't pay for cable or satellite for that very reason, never have and never will. Netflix gets along just fine with 7.99 a month (or maybe its more now I can't remember) and no commercials. However maybe that's because their content is a lot older than Hulu's.

As for Mr. Guest, bad English indeed, I'm going to assume you meant nothing, not notting. And no I don't "pirate", I am a paying subscriber for me media. Thanks for assuming.

Thanks english teacher. Well, if you search a little over google you will fine there is some cool stuft outside of netflix. Of course you are to busy reading english books.

I don't pay for cable or satellite for that very reason, never have and never will. Netflix gets along just fine with 7.99 a month (or maybe its more now I can't remember) and no commercials. However maybe that's because their content is a lot older than Hulu's.
Hulu's tv content is tons better then netflix and next day access rocks. By the time content gets to netflix, content providers are trying to squeeze the last few dollars out of their content. Still, you said its "disgusting", like there is no rationale for any sane person to pay for a service that includes commercials. I sincerely think that mindset is disgusting. For the price of a fast food meal you can subscribe to hulu plus. What a small price to pay to liberate oneself from the TV schedule. Simply invaluable when I worked evenings. The basic free hulu feels like it should be a subscription service. I feel almost morally compelled to subscribe to hulu based on how good its free service is.

I did Hulu for a long time but I just could no longer tolerate the commercials every 5 minutes... And so often the same one over and over.. It ruins the movie involvement to me totally and I can't enjoy it. Same reason I don't watch anything accept sports on regular TV. I see it for free users but for paying users, no sir.

Back