Palworld hits 19 million players on PC and Xbox within two weeks of launch

DragonSlayer101

Staff
What just happened? Palworld debuted just two weeks ago on Xbox and PC, yet it has already become one of the most popular new titles launched this year. According to developer Pocketpair, the game has already garnered more than 19 million players worldwide on the two platforms combined. The company had earlier announced that Palworld hit 6 million players globally within just six days of launch.

In an X post, the official Palworld account revealed that the game has already sold around 12 million copies on Steam and has approximately 7 million players across Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S. The developers also promised to continue fixing bugs and thanked all players for their support.

Microsoft's Xbox gaming division announced that Palworld is the biggest third-party launch ever in Game Pass history. The company also stated that it is the most-played third-party day one release via cloud gaming with Game Pass Ultimate, and is currently the most-played Xbox game with three million daily players. Speaking to Xbox Wire, Pocketpair CEO Takuro Mizobe said, "This is just the beginning for us and Palworld, and the feedback we're gathering while in Game Preview will allow us to continue to improve the experience for Pal Tamers across all platforms."

Palworld was reportedly made on a ¥1 billion ($7 million) budget, meaning its massive popularity has brought windfall profits for its developer. The game costs $29.99 on Steam and is available as part of PC Game Pass and Xbox Game Pass. Assuming all players on Steam paid the full price, it has already earned total revenues of more than $300 million on Steam alone. Add that to the earnings from Xbox and PC Game Pass, and it's clear that Pocketpair has hit a jackpot with its latest title.

Meanwhile, the success of Palworld means that there are many unscrupulous developers trying to take advantage of its popularity. There is currently no official mobile version of the game, but there are many apps with similar names popping up on the App Store and Google Play.

In an X post, Pocketpair stated that none of the Palworld clones on Android and iOS are affiliated with the company, and warned that these apps could contain malware that could potentially lead to fraud or the leakage of personal information. The Palworld developer also said that they have reported the issue to Apple and Google, so we expect these fraudulent apps to be taken down from the App Store and Google Play sooner rather than later.

Permalink to story.

Well this is what happens when they release games filled with microtransactions instead if what people actually want to play. People had been asking Nintendo for a game like this for a very long time but what we got instead was PokemonGO.
And the devs, pocketpair, seem to be actually listening to players, the patch for the game last night has alot of fixes for things that have been issues. it's crazy what can happen when you make a game thats whole point is fun and playability instead of fleecing players for every penny possible.

I hate to be the devils advocate on this, but it's only a matter of time before The Pokémon Company finds a way to put an end to this, the design elements of the monsters, despite being changed slightly or mixed and matched, are too damn similar.

If polling people's opinions was grounds for legal ramification that could be all it takes, most people's first impressions of Palworld is "Pokémon with guns" after all, "gamers" might think differently but you can bet the Pokémon Company can careless about their opinions right now.

Sometimes legislation have to be modified to reflect society changes, so there's no immutable law. I'm not saying that Palworld case would serve to forgive IP thief but in the future these cases could serve as basis to chage how IPs are used, it could work like a royalties after legal settlement if the piece don't fully fit the IP thief characterization.
That would serve better the gamer community instead of C&D orders.

I hate to be the devils advocate on this, but it's only a matter of time before The Pokémon Company finds a way to put an end to this, the design elements of the monsters, despite being changed slightly or mixed and matched, are too damn similar.

If polling people's opinions was grounds for legal ramification that could be all it takes, most people's first impressions of Palworld is "Pokémon with guns" after all, "gamers" might think differently but you can bet the Pokémon Company can careless about their opinions right now.
IF (and that's a big IF) Nintendo can successfully litigate against them because of the parody characters, at most I can see the models being changed up to better fall within "safe" bounds.

There won't be an "end" to this, because Nintendo does not own the general cartoony look of the characters (only the specific characters themselves). And they certainly do not own the mechanics used to make it feel like Pokemon.

Pokemon Adults are very strange to me. I'm not sure why they think Nintendo owns the very idea of a Monster Tamer.
Mostly because up to now everyone else who tried it failed spectacularly. Outside of Mosnter hunter, but that is a very different game.

Or arrested development.
I think Nintendo should learn that you can't mess with your fanbase for too long
I mean they're still selling 15+ million copies. Scarlet/violet proved the pokemon fanbase will continue buying the same broken slop to the tune of 23 million copies.

To date, Game Freak has had no reason to change. It's doubtful that scarlet/violet would have sold 35+ million had they been a proper full upgrade to the pokemon experience. Consoooomers gonna consoooom.
And the devs, pocketpair, seem to be actually listening to players, the patch for the game last night has alot of fixes for things that have been issues. it's crazy what can happen when you make a game thats whole point is fun and playability instead of fleecing players for every penny possible.
You'd think AAA devs would learn, but.....

All the gameplay I've seen looks downright awful. Really seems like all the hype is from Pokemon fans, and the game itself is quite lackluster. As someone who never played a minute of a Pokemon game, PalWorld just looks like cheap garbage directly riding on the success of Pokemon.

All the gameplay I've seen looks downright awful. Really seems like all the hype is from Pokemon fans, and the game itself is quite lackluster. As someone who never played a minute of a Pokemon game, PalWorld just looks like cheap garbage directly riding on the success of Pokemon.
it's on gamepass, why dont you try it out? there must be some reason millions of people are playing it, shoot, I haven't played pokemon since yellow and never liked or tried base builders and dropped probably 80hrs+ in palworld, and bought it from steam.

maybe people just like playing with and taking care of monsters that have real animations and personality backed up by graphics better than a switch thats on its dying breath.

Monster Hunter is not a monster tamer game.

Palworld isn't the same type of game as Pokemon, and has generally drawn ire from pokemon fans.

Most of the appeal comes from solid survival exploration with some automation elements and monster taming. Reminds me a tiny bit of Minecraft with tech mods.

Personally, I think Nintendo would be better off blackmailing them into a takeover. We sue you into the ground or you come and join use peacefully. Nintendo wouldn't get a publicity hit this way.

it's on gamepass, why dont you try it out? there must be some reason millions of people are playing it, shoot, I haven't played pokemon since yellow and never liked or tried base builders and dropped probably 80hrs+ in palworld, and bought it from steam.

maybe people just like playing with and taking care of monsters that have real animations and personality backed up by graphics better than a switch thats on its dying breath.
millions of people buy McDonalds every day, that doesnt mean it is quality food.

Also: "its on gamepass" Gross. Subscribing to MS? Actually retching RN.

Back