TechSpot

Panasonic: Cheap OLED TVs not coming any time soon

By Rick
Jun 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Earlier this week, Sony and Panasonic touted their new-found partnership -- a joint effort which would focus on mass producing low-cost, high-resolution OLED panels. Today, Panasonic's president Kazuhiro Tsuga clarified the announcement, explaining to journalists that Panasonic does not expect……

Read more

2. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

Actually this is not a bad business plan. Its no longer the 1980s when you can only sell this sort of thing to rich Americans. When you look at the whole world as a marketplace, there are plenty of people who would pay 9K for a TV like this, if only as a status symbol.

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but if you can afford 3K for a TV, you can afford 9K.

3. What! if we go by your logic. if you can afford a $20,000 car you can afford a $60,000 car. $9,000 is a lot of money for just a tv and a small one at that, when you can get a 70" led for $3,000 that looks almost as good as the OLED. Wy would anyone other then people with more money than they know what to do with buy one. I make $9,000-$12,000 (drywalling) a month and would not wast my money on something that costs way more and dose the same thing.

4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,011   +18

How is that going by my logic? My example has a $6,000 difference, yours $40,000. Do the math...

YOU are clearly not the target audience. People who buy $2000 purses and $500 sunglasses are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspicuous_consumption

5. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,690   +1,068

yeah, guest... rich people make $3000 a DAY. Infact, $2700 a day is about exactly $1 mill /year. You're thinking of it like it's a crazy high price for a TV, and it is. But for atheletes, celebrities and many others, $10,000 isn't very much money, no matter what you spend it on.

Your average pro athelete doesn't want a TV that just looks good, they want one that no one else has. :) They'll sell a few.

gwailo247 likes this.
  6. WTF are you all on. most people with jobs can afford a $3,000 tv. But not to many can afford a $9,000 tv.